: Need help from ehMac member in Vancouver

youngbd1
Jul 20th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Greetings. I have a PB seller (read likely scammer) from China on the line.

The story thus far:
I bid (and won) the auction for a top line 17" PB rev D (120GB etc.) on Yahoo.ca auctions ::rolls eyes:: for CAD$523.13 (yeah, I found out after the close that the seller was in China.)

I requested 'escrow' service (i.e., escrow.com) and got the expected demand for money. I replied that I can arrange a Vancouver, BC escrow agent, if he (Hualan Li - must be a thou of those in China ...) would just give a shipping quote so I could forward the PB cost and shipping to the 'escrow' agent in Vancouver.

He (Li - gotta love that) quoted CAD$ 80.00 shipping (now, where's my money??).

And here we are. Now, according to general practice of scambaiting, my next
move is to request a picture of Li holding the PB (or saying I need $10USD to defray wire transfer cost to the escrow agent) - you get the idea. (I actually don't think he is dumb enough to forward his own $ - I prefer to seek the pic.)

Where I need help - I don't live in Vancouver and family members in the area, well, I don't think they would understand.

If any Vancouver ehMac member is interested in providing a legitimate CYVR address (nothing else), I will certainly forward all emails sent/received thus far. I will, of course, guarentee participating member against any harm - Li who?

Anyway, this person from China will be reported (not only to Yahoo) accordingly - i.e., this Site, PhoneBusters and more in the fullness of time. Failing response from an ehMac member, the escrow delivery address Li receives will be (of course) a Vancouver detachment of the RCMP.

PM me if curious (not with your address tho at this time - check me out first, eh?). This is, for me, a 'one-off'. When I retire (and if this goes well) ...

Mods - this is a 'one-off'. "Trust me on this."

Oh, yeah. Li and "colleagues" offer more that just PB laptops. I actually envy the Chinese people - they can speak Mandarin. And I personally guarentee that the participating member will not receive emails - nor a pallette load of laptops.

Post comments freely (if the Mods allow), but "get me one too" either here or in PM will be ignored. (Unless the pallette arrives, and then, that will depend on the good graces of the participating member.)

Let's see ... pic holding PB, forward $, ... anything I missed?

youngbd1

Heart
Jul 20th, 2006, 08:34 PM
?

CN
Jul 20th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Er...so why did you want to arrange an escrow agent in Vancouver? Why not just go with one in Alberta (seeing as thats where you live). Then you wouldn't need someone to give you their address (a strange request, really).

Your story is a bit weird...I don't understand why you are pursuing a deal which you have deemed fraudulent. Report it to eBay (sounds like they broke some rules by not saying they were in China) and move on...that would definitely be easiest.

Also, if you are going ahead with this, make sure you really know the terms of the escrow, so that if you and the seller disagree (eg- he says he sent the laptop, you say you didn't get it) your money won't be locked down with them for months while an investigation or something goes on.

winwintoo
Jul 20th, 2006, 10:54 PM
p-p-p-p-p-powerbook has been done to death. Move on. That's my advice.

You know it's a scam but you want to have some fun. You might find some takers on some other boards, but we're a bit conservative for you.

Margaret

scootsandludes
Jul 20th, 2006, 10:55 PM
So far it hasn't cost you a thing, cut your loss, you're not getting a 17" powerbook for a quarter of the going price for a refurb. The worst that can happen to you is you get a bad feedback on a auction site that nobody uses. If it's for real, and the guy threatens to leave bad feedback, reply back, you're suspecting scam, and find a real escrow service quick.

HowEver
Jul 20th, 2006, 11:00 PM
I agree with the cut your losses advice. Reporting the scammer should discharge your liability with yahoo.ca. Escrow services can of course be faked, and both sides here know this.

So, again, why B.C.?

Still, it would be nice to help someone out who has been 'here' since 2001...

youngbd1
Jul 21st, 2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah, as usual you people are right. Besides, it's much too nice out to be plinking with someone in China. Cheers, youngbd1