: car rentals in the US & NH questions

scootsandludes
Jul 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM
I'm going to New Hampshire next month for a wedding, we're gonna fly down, and probably rent a econo box to get around with.

So what's the deal? Do I need to get insurance? I'm currently insured to drive a car and a motorscooter here. Do I need to shell out extra cash to be insured in the US? As in do I need to buy insurance from the rental agencies?

Also off topic, what is there to do in New Hampshire/ New England? we'll be flying into Manchester NH and going to http://www.stonemountainartscenter.com/ArtsCenter/index.html for the wedding, I'm booking an extra day to do something, fly in on thursday evening, leaving sunday evening, and sat. is the wedding, so a free friday, with a possible rehearsal dinner. Any ideas for sites to see that's not to far off?

vince

nxnw
Jul 14th, 2006, 12:45 PM
1. It's a small state;
2. There's no sales tax;

Depending on what you like, Portsmouth (on the ocean) is terrific. It was one of the big 7 US ports, but did not grow like Boston or NYC, so it is sort of frozen in time. It has become home to many people from Boston and NYC, who decided they wanted a quieter life, but they brought a pretty rich cultural life with them. There's also whale watching boat rides from Portsmouth.

If you want to shop (no sales tax, right?), North Conway (at the foot of Mount Washington, is a big outlet shopping area, and also in a very scenic area.

There are also many beautiful hikes and drives - franconia notch state park, white mountain national park.

MACSPECTRUM
Jul 14th, 2006, 01:02 PM
wow, i gotta consult nxnw before my next vacation

johnnydee
Jul 14th, 2006, 01:25 PM
If you want to rent a car in the US you can use a gold Visa or Mastercard and they provide coverage .
Another option is to contact your car insurer and ask for rental coverage.
I beleive it can be provide for no or little extra cost!

John

Oakbridge
Jul 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM
If you want to rent a car in the US you can use a gold Visa or Mastercard and they provide coverage .
Another option is to contact your car insurer and ask for rental coverage.
I beleive it can be provide for no or little extra cost!

John
Check with the card issuer about how they handle things. I was warned by a friend and had it confirmed by a car rental agency that some card issuers will try to hit up your personal auto insurance first. Therefore you are not really gaining anything.

When I inquired about the renter's insurance that is on my policy, I was told that it was not valid outside of Ontario (the province my insurance is issued in).

Depending on the length of the trip, I'd opt for the car rental agency's insurance. Just piece of mind and you don't have any "well I didn't know that" if something does go wrong.

scootsandludes
Jul 14th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Well the gold card isn't an issue as me and the gf neither have a gold card, nor are we planning on getting one anytime soon.

I guess I'll need to check with my insurance if it's covered. Just seems kinda expensive to rent something for $40 a day, and I need an extra $21 just to insure it a day, with gas on top of that, it's gonna get pretty expensive for a weekend getaway.

nxnw
Jul 14th, 2006, 06:26 PM
wow, i gotta consult nxnw before my next vacationBefore the kids were born, we used to do a New England road trip every summer. Portsmouth was one of our favourite places.

SINC
Mar 21st, 2009, 01:34 PM
Sneaky SPAM if you ask me. Reported.

KC4
Mar 21st, 2009, 01:56 PM
We are heading to Boston/Maine this summer and intended to rent a car and take it across the border to Nova Scotia and then on to PEI etc.

Heads up - Major snag.....Canadian Citizens cannot take an American car across the border into Canada. American citizens can.

Conversely, American and Canadian citizens can take a Canadian car across the border. It is just because of the difference in laws for both countries.

We are looking at reversing the order of our vacation or dropping off the American car near the border and re-renting a Canadian one once we cross.

eMacMan
Mar 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM
Absolutely you should check with your personal insurance both for rental insurance (ask about the deductible as well) and for travel insurance to be sure you are covered medically!

SINC
Mar 21st, 2009, 02:59 PM
I still think this is SPAM??

ehMax
Mar 21st, 2009, 03:42 PM
I still think this is SPAM??

Agreed. Previous posts removed. Thanks SINC.