: Intel Imac power issues

SAN66
May 28th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Hi,

I purchased an Intel IMac a few months back and have been having intermittent power issues.

When I first received the system it would sometimes turn itself off when going into sleep mode, as it should, but when I returned to the system it would boot from start and anything I was working on was gone.

That problem somehow fixed itself, but then I noticed that my system would never fully go to sleep, I would hear it power down and then seconds later I would hear the fans fire up again.

So, I recently moved, and now my original problem of the system turning itself off has returned, and now I have trouble turning it on (It will not turn on if I hold down the power for too short or too long a time).

I'm thinking this is a problem with the power control module and will have to get a technician to fix it, but I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems?

Cheers!

Aaron

monokitty
May 28th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I've seen it numerous times before. The power supply in the unit is broken.

SAN66
May 29th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Except now that I've run the latest firmware update its running better than it ever has before.

It actually goes into full sleep mode and wakes when I hit a key on the keyboard.

Of course I'm worried the power supply might still be wonky, but now I have no way to prove to a technician there was anything wrong.

monokitty
May 29th, 2006, 09:10 AM
You never know - maybe the power supply wasn't technically broken, but just wasn't functioning as it should before the firmware upgrade. Firmware upgrades are permanent improvements to the hardware in a computer, so it's very possible that it resolved your issue.

JPL
May 30th, 2006, 05:06 PM
You never know - maybe the power supply wasn't technically broken, but just wasn't functioning as it should before the firmware upgrade. Firmware upgrades are permanent improvements to the hardware in a computer, so it's very possible that it resolved your issue.

;) nice save Lars