: Powerbook 165 and printing w/Stylewriter

commandogirl
May 20th, 2006, 11:44 AM
HELP! This thing is driving me crazy! I'm trying to print from my Powerbook 165, which I have printed from before but not in a very long while. I replaced the cartirdge - it is brand new - still getting blank pages from the printer or I'm getting an error message saying that "NO Style Writer is Availabe". My powerbook is refurbished so I can't tell which port to use in the back and can't figure out what else I'd doing wrong. Also, because of the inactive printer I think I need to clean the jets - how do I do that? Arg.:(

CanadaRAM
May 20th, 2006, 12:38 PM
The port you're going to use is the round Appletalk/RS-422 serial port. Not the ADB port whioch is the same size but with a different pin configuration. Turn off Appletalk in the appropriate Control Panel.

Check here for more info
http://www.lowendmac.com/pb/165.shtml

I can't remember, but there usually is a button configuration on a printer that you hold down while turning on the power switch, which forces the printer to print a test page. Your heads are probably dried up in the printer, however, perhaps to the extent that it cannot be cleaned with the cleaning process (which simply tries to force ink through the jets). You can get a printer head cleaning solvent and try to loosen up the dried heads. Don't try to clean them physically, as it is very easy to destroy them.

Gerbill
May 20th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Those printers don't have separate heads - the heads are integrated with the cartridges and you get new ones every time you change them.

Your problem with printing might simply be that you're using a System that's older than the StyleWriter printers - you may need to get a driver or upgrade to a "modern" System like 7.1.

A good source of old Apple System software is:

http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

CanadaRAM
May 20th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Those printers don't have separate heads - the heads are integrated with the cartridges and you get new ones every time you change them.
That is true only of the StyleWriter 4000 series made by HP. The Canon engine StyleWriter 1 and 2 and 1200 and various others use ink tanks

Edit - I'm wrong on some of the details here.
The Color Stylewriter, CS Pro, and CS2400 used ink tanks with no heads.

ErnstNL
May 20th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Did you check the chooser to see if the printer was available?
Is it a color printer or just b/w (stylewriter 1200)
When did you use the printer last?
The 1200's used canon BC02 cartridges with print heads in the cartridges.
I used to have one it, was excellent.