Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Has anyone used equinux Media Central?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Suite Edit 
#1 ·
Like the title states has anyone gave it a go??
i will be getting a eyetv soon and maybe a intel mini
and just wanted to know if there is anyone who can give me
the pros and cons of real world use
thanks

#2 ·
Hey! I was just playing with it.

It is FREE. And slick.
I use the keyboard as I do not have a remote.
An just use what is supported in my PB 12"
DVD, Movies, Trailers, Internet TV is nice.

I know what it is for, your multi-media remote (- Front Row -) and is very simular.
The navigation of all the different items, iTunes, DVD, TV is so slick I would use it with my second monitor that I have attached but it takes over the whole machine. Thus not allowing you to view full screen on one monitor and say surf on the other.
Add that and I am golden.

Nice replacement for Front Row. For those that have systems that support it or not.

#4 ·
thanks i had seen a bud play with it and when i seen the codecs it can play
that sold me so to speak and you can use the ati remote wonder
or salling clicker to control it is a plus
now in two weeks the mini will be bought the i will have to get the eyetv from my bros place up north

then the Mac media center is here

#5 ·
It's a really nice piece of software with lots of potential. I'm using it on a daily basis in my home theatre. There are only 2 down-sides for me:

1) scrolling is SLOW. Even on a dual G5, scrolling through a long list of movies can take a while... it's not accellerated like Front Row or your iPod.

2) If you have multiple monitors (like many HT setups I would think), you get an option to select which display it appears on, but unless you pick the main screen, the "don't ask again" preference doesn't stick. It may seem minor, but when you have it setup for 1-button launch from a remote, it's pretty annoying.

Over-all, a great product. Def. the front-runner right now for Mac HT software in my opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.