400 mhz
100 mhz bus

or

G4 Digital Audio
600+mb Ram
30G hd
466 mzh
133 mhz bus

Which one should I get? Also which one is more easy to upgrade (faster processor) cheaper?

Any advice would be helpfull.

Thanks

MacDoc
Dec 9th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Door number two without any doubt.
Superior architecture all around. :cool:

bmovie
Dec 9th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Thanks!

What kind of upgrade card can I get for it and how much....assuming the person is still willing to sell me the G4?

Betty Fooz
Dec 10th, 2003, 04:19 AM
This one is available...( OWC Mercury extreme (http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Page.cfm?Parent=908&Title=OWC%20Mercury%20) )

MacNutt
Dec 10th, 2003, 04:23 AM
I am using "door number one" currently.

But I have 120 gigs of HD and about a gig of RAM. I also have a PCI card setup that allows me to use dual monitors. I have two 20 inch monitors and they work like a hot damn.

I notice that you didn't post prices for the two systems.

Mine (door number one) is rock solid and never gives me a moments grief. It NEVER screws up and I think of it as my friend. It certainly doesn't seem to be "slow".

I have no idea how good "Door number Two'" is.

Some computers are better than others. Especially when price is factored into the mix.

Perhaps you should ask youself a few more questions before you buy. Just to be sure.

MacNutt
Dec 10th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Not sure if I should spend several hundred dollars on upgrading an older machine that is only worth 900$ right now. One that I bought used for 1100$ six months ago and seems to be running just fine.

Love my G4 400 Powermac AGP. This thing is way more solid than a fire hydrant. And it does all sorts of amazing stuff without breaking a sweat. Too bad all electronic gear couldn't be this reliable.

So...explain to me again why I should rock this particular boat. I'm all ears.

bmovie
Dec 10th, 2003, 08:52 AM
thanks donut for the link.

Both machines are from work, and they might sell them. I'm working on the sawtooth at the moment, running panther and its rock solid, but the DA is flacky, but I think its just needs to be cleaned up.

Hd reformated new OS that sort of thing. It's running OS 9.

mbaldwin
Dec 10th, 2003, 07:12 PM
I also own a Sawtooth (a 450) but I would definitely go for the Digital Audio model if the prices are similar. In addition to a faster memory bus, it likely has a far superior video card (the Sawtooth will most likely not be Quartz Extreme capable) and a 4X AGP slot for said video card.

It's not that the Sawtooth is a bad machine, it's just that the DA is better. ;) Especially if you intend on dropping in a faster processor.

As for flakiness, it likely is OS9. Install OSX and check the RAM if it continues. My Sawtooth is a rock in X yet it cannot reliably boot a freshly installed version of 9. But that's another topic. smile.gif

- Martin.

bmovie
Dec 10th, 2003, 10:00 PM
thanks everyone!

The G4 DA is the i'm going to put my dibs on!