Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Low download speed with Azureus, BitTorrent, Tomato, etc..

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BooyaMcNasty 
#1 ·
Why oh why does it take me 2 years 42 days and 56 minutes to download 1 gig of info????
I'm on a 17" powerbook with 1 gig RAM with MAC OS X v 10.4.5 and a absolutely perfect internet connection. Should be fine to download at a reasonable speed?
I've tried different clients, trackers, and links. Maybe it has something do with ports (a new term for me as of yesterday) or NAT. I just dunno.:confused:

#4 ·
Stevieb, a month ago you would have been correct, however port 1720 (and 1755) are now throttled aswel. Not only throttled but torrent packets are also now set as low-priority-transfer on Roger lines, meaning even if you bypass throttle it'll still take long for fast speeds because roger isp is caring least about that paticular information packet. Teddy is laughing his way to the bank.

If your using Rogers and you truely want fast torrent speeds mssg me and i'll explain in depth why your not getting the speeds you should be expecting for broadband, and how you can achieve them.

I recently had the same problem and finally solved it. I now am capable of hitting 690kb no problem with torrents.

If you are just looking for the quick fix, and you don't care to understand why your going slow, you just want to go fast, i suggest going to http://www.dslreports.com/ and doing the research by searching in the forum that is your isp provider. There's usually posts with guides on how to configure your Torrent program and/or computer.

and for anyone that is curious, I do not participate in Pirating, my torrenting are business related only. How people use torrent technology is not my concern nor should be yours. How the service is being used and all legal issues are between the user and ISP's and between the user and the holder of the copyright.

G
#6 ·
Yep, I'll second the Azureus with encryption method.

I also use torrents for legit reasons. Lots of legit stuff is transported via torrent these days (linux ISO's, podcasts, videocasts, other video content, etc).

Rogers service levels have noticeably dropped for VoIP stuff as well... rumor has it that they want you to pay an exgtra $10 extortion fee to have your (non rogers) VoIP work properly. My Vonage is horrid now.

I wish I knew a lawyer that would be willing to start a class action for all of us that have been stymied by Roger's (and several other canadian ISPs) heavy handed traffic shaping and throttling. The gov't sure hasn't been willing to step up to ensure we get the "quality" of service we pay for. In fact I did some research a little while back about this in particular and I discovered that there is NO gov't agency at this point in canada that can even regulate this. The ISP's have free reign basically to do as they please ATM. Of couse this leaves us out in the cold so to speak.

For me it's like a telephone company charging you extra if you want to call certain area codes because people tie up too many lines making these calls, and if you don't pay the extra extortion fee you may still be able to call .. but people on the other end will only hear you in bits and pieces if it works at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.