: My iWeb experience

okcomputer
Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:28 PM
So I got iLife '06 from my educational rep. I installed it on a few of the eMacs in my classroom. I then installed it on my iBook G3. iMovie HD '06 would not install after I upgraded to Tiger (it installed under Panther, but then would not open), but iWeb and iPhoto installed fine.

I ran iWeb and was impressed by the ease of use and the features. Unfortunately the image properties tool bar would not work - it froze every time I tried to change the contrast of one of my photos.

I got past that and created a small site. It was very easy to put pictures in (just as it is in iMovie), and the templates are fantastic. I can definitely see me using this for other sites, especially ones which I need to post to often - the blog options are great, as are the podcast and movie options.

While making my site, I could not delete the text boxes that were default on the templates. It was annoying, but they were invisible when not selected, so I left them. I made the site fairly quickly and was happy with the results. I exported my site to a folder.

I found a bit of redundancy - it creates a separate folder for each page you create. Which can be good, but I also think it's creating more files than it needs to. And it's very graphics-heavy. It converts some things you do to images, and some are over 100kb.

I ftp'd my folder to my webserver and then copied it to my school's server. Everything copied fine. My web site had looked fine on Safari on my iBook. I opened the files in Firefox on my Windows 2000 machine at work and they looked decent - some things were wrong, but it looked easy to fix. I then opened it in Internet Explorer and all hell broke loose. Nothing work and everything was everywhere.

I finally found the culprit - those empty DIVS. I deleted them and everything was back to normal - almost. The text formatting is not consistent. Currently it looks fine in IE7 on XP, but does not look right on Firefox 1.5 on XP. It looks fine on IE6 on Win2000 and Firefox1.5 on Win2000 as well. I'm so very confused.

I edited the HTML with NVU and was amazed to see the structure - DIV after SPAN after DIV after SPAN - almost impossible to edit.

Anyways, here is a link to the site. See if it looks right to you (the text should all be left-aligned and be greyish with maroon links and it's a nice font, nothing stanard).

http://herh.ednet.ns.ca/Teachers/CorkumM/Welcome.html

Heart
Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
I didn't see 'ehMac.ca - Canada's Mac Community!' on the links page. ;)

url = https://www.ehmac.ca/

okcomputer
Feb 22nd, 2006, 09:41 PM
Haha. I was actually going to add a few more sites until I ran into those troubles and ran out of time.

I'll add ehMac and a few others soon. ;)