: Should I wait.....


jrs4life
Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Hey all,

I'm actually looking at getting a 12" G4 iBook (my first mac!!). However, with the release of the MacBook Pro, I'm guessing that this iBook version is at the end of its life cycle.

Does anyone know if there will be a price drop sometime soon?

Thanks,

Jay

mikeinmontreal
Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Welcome to Ehmac. You can wait until next week to see if the new iBooks come out and scour the Compusmarts and Best Buys, etc. to see if there are any price drops. Or wait until an annoucement in April for Apple's 30th birthday, at which time the new iBooks will most likely arrive. When the Intel Imacs came out, there were price drops on the older models, but not enough to keep you away from going the Intel route. It's anybody's guess at this point.

dona83
Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Don't hold your breath for a price drop until after the new MacBook is released. If you can't wait get the iBook G4 now, it's a fine machine, just up the hard drive when you order it and get RAM from www.canadaram.com or a local retailer, and it'll be plenty fast for most of your needs.

RyanA
Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:10 PM
There are rumours that the new line of Macbooks (ibook equivalent) are coming out in March. Either way, they are bound to replace the G4s very soon. I doubt the price will drop significantly right away, but you will likely be able to get a much better machine for the same price.

Speaking as someone who bought a Powerbook a month before the Macbook Pros were announced, I would say wait until the new line of intel iBooks start shipping. Otherwise, you'll be kicking yourself - like I was.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0602ibook.html

jrs4life
Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the quick responses :)

I think I should wait until the iBook prices start dropping. I think Amazon is offering a $100 mail in rebate in the U.S. already.

I'm not really interested in getting the new MacBook as the G4 processor would easily cover my needs in a notebook computer.

Jay