: Value of Older Machine?

Strimkind
Feb 20th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I was wondering what people thought of an older 8500 machine is worth.

It has the following specs:

233 mhz 604e (upgrade)
2x64MB, 2x8mb for a total of 144MB
2x2GB SCSI HDs
CD-ROM w/ external scsi CD-RW 4/4/16
standard 2MB video w/ ATI xclaim VR/TV 4MB

SHould I sell it as a whole? Or will I get much more with parting some of it out?

speckledmind
Feb 20th, 2006, 09:20 PM
This may help you.

I gave away the following 2 years ago.
PPC 8600 / 300, 1 gig Ram ( 4 X 512 mb ), 2 X internal HD, internal Zip Drive, interanl Jazz drive, Apple Personal Laser ??? printer, Apple 2400 Scanner, 17 Apple screen plus all the dodas that came with it.
Because I could not even get $100.00 for it as a whole, and did not want to bother stripping everything apart and go Ebay.
Someone was in need, and he got it for free.
All the above was purchased new, but I do not remember in what year, but it had several years under it's collar.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Denis : )

Strimkind
Feb 20th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Too bad, I was hoping for something...maybe I'll sell the video card and the CD burner and then sell the rest for really cheap.

Jason H
Feb 20th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I'd say we are in the negative dollar range. IE you will have to pay somebody to take it. My beige g3's are in the same boat even!!

Rob
Feb 20th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Yup, garage sale status at best. A crappy case design doesn't help either.

All that being said it's a great box for OS8.1 as it stands. But the market is slim to none.

Give it away to somebody. At least you'll make someone happy and earn a thank you.

contoursvt
Feb 20th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Best thing for an old computer (at least what I do with old PC's) is to clean them up and put the bare essentials for it to be used by someone as a computer to surf, create documents and print them out. Email of course as well. Once its all working, donate it to someone who has no money and would be thrilled with the gift. Maybe a daycare also??

Strimkind
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:43 AM
I'd say we are in the negative dollar range. IE you will have to pay somebody to take it. My beige g3's are in the same boat even!!

Not as bad for the beige G3s, at least they can run OSX and support IDE HDs. I'd keep it for an MP3 server and install OSX w/xpostfacto if it did not require an expensive PCI card for that. However, I might see what I can do about donating it or finding someone who needs it. Too bad really, still a good computer.

IronMac
Feb 21st, 2006, 06:42 AM
Two routes at this point...Reboot Canada or Freecycle.org. :)

Lawrence
Feb 21st, 2006, 08:45 AM
It's amazing how fast things depreciate,
I can buy a Beige G3 266 for between $49. - $69. + Tax and shipping nowadays:
http://www.vfxweb.com/index.php?productid=8457
http://www.vfxweb.com/index.php?productid=8458

D :)

SINC
Feb 21st, 2006, 09:52 AM
Yep, find someone who cannot afford a computer and give it to them. Great way to make both of you feel good about it. :)

TroutMaskReplica
Feb 21st, 2006, 12:26 PM
i wouldn't donate this particular machine to anybody. it will cause them more headaches than its worth, even for simple things like surfing and printing documents. try to buy a consumer class printer that will work with this thing. no modern software will even run on it.

gmark2000
Feb 21st, 2006, 01:25 PM
Two routes at this point...Reboot Canada or Freecycle.org. :)
Do you want to get started on ReBoot Canada again? Profiteers who'll sell the gear you donate and make systems for charities for a price.

HowEver
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:57 PM
Do you want to get started on ReBoot Canada again? Profiteers who'll sell the gear you donate and make systems for charities for a price.

A friend of mine posted a request on craigslist. ReBoot offered to sell them old crap Apple computer parts--I wouldn't call it a computer. When she wrote back to say, "Aren't you a charity?" the response was "Well, it would appear that way..."

Not a charity, just a business that pretends to be one.

I say freecycle it, and make sure it isn't a business picking it up.

IronMac
Feb 21st, 2006, 09:47 PM

Yes, let's. If you've got a complaint about Reboot that you can back up then go ahead and inform the Canadian government about it so they can yank their charitable status.

Is the Toronto Humane Society a charity? You'll probably say that yes it is...then, why do they charge a fee of $85 per cat and dog?

Jason H
Feb 21st, 2006, 10:39 PM
Not as bad for the beige G3s, at least they can run OSX and support IDE HDs. I'd keep it for an MP3 server and install OSX w/xpostfacto if it did not require an expensive PCI card for that. However, I might see what I can do about donating it or finding someone who needs it. Too bad really, still a good computer.

It runs 10.2.8 without any assistance.

I've got 3 of them, all setup for my mom. When one stops working she can pull the wires out of one and put them into the other one and use it.

HowEver
Feb 21st, 2006, 11:22 PM
Yes, let's. If you've got a complaint about Reboot that you can back up then go ahead and inform the Canadian government about it so they can yank their charitable status.

Is the Toronto Humane Society a charity? You'll probably say that yes it is...then, why do they charge a fee of $85 per cat and dog?

The care (and feeding, and operations, and so on) that the Toronto Humane Society provides for dogs and cats prior to the adoption process far, far, exceeds $85 per.

dona83
Feb 21st, 2006, 11:34 PM
The care (and feeding, and operations, and so on) that the Toronto Humane Society provides for dogs and cats prior to the adoption process far, far, exceeds $85 per.

Food, shelter, medicine, vaccination, that $85 I bet barely covers the cost, they have to recuperate the rest through monetary donations and thrift shops.

gmark2000
Feb 21st, 2006, 11:51 PM
They're under the radar because they stay non-profit. The profit goes to the salary of the executive director. I'm not saying that he/she shouldn't get paid but the altruism only goes so far. It's a nice gig.

HowEver
Feb 21st, 2006, 11:57 PM
reBoot deals with the public through Byte Me Computers, which is very much a for-profit operation.

If you want your decent electronics to be sold back to people like us, sure, donate them to reBoot, then go to Byte Me to buy them back.

IronMac
Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:40 AM
They're under the radar because they stay non-profit. The profit goes to the salary of the executive director. I'm not saying that he/she shouldn't get paid but the altruism only goes so far. It's a nice gig.

So, in other words, you can't back up what you say? How much does the executive director make anyways?

What about the cost of their huge warehouse in Toronto? The insurance? The utilities? The cost of supplies?

IronMac
Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:43 AM

So, are you saying that selling an old 486 for $25 a pop at Byte Me on Queen St. W. covers all of the costs of running that shop? Or is this a case different standards being applied?

RobTheGob
Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:42 PM
Too bad, I was hoping for something...maybe I'll sell the video card and the CD burner and then sell the rest for really cheap.

I can't see the burner or the video getting too much coin. If you're lucky, you might get $10 for the pair - and that's assuming that you find a collector that wants them...

Lawrence
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
I was wondering what people thought of an older 8500 machine is worth.

It has the following specs:

233 mhz 604e (upgrade)
2x64MB, 2x8mb for a total of 144MB
2x2GB SCSI HDs
CD-ROM w/ external scsi CD-RW 4/4/16
standard 2MB video w/ ATI xclaim VR/TV 4MB

SHould I sell it as a whole? Or will I get much more with parting some of it out?

These machines are worth very little, You might get $50. for it if you are lucky.

You could have some fun upgrading it to a G3 though, Buy a few things from eBay like:
- ATA card (Either an ATA 66 or an ATA 100, ATA 133 would be too pricey)
- Sonnet G3 daughter card
- ATI 7000 Radeon 32 mb PCI video card
- USB card
- Firewire card

Go to a big box store and get a 120 gb ATA hard drive
You could also max out the RAM.

I've done all this before with a 7300/200.
But seriously...Nowadays I'd just junk it and buy a G3 Beige

D :)