: The $3 domain name

gordguide
Feb 20th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Price shakeouts in Domain Name Registration are continuing, with iPowerWeb (http://www.ipowerweb.net/) offering a $US 2.95 annual registration, undercutting Yahoo's current special pricing of $US 2.99.

Other inexpensive registrars include NetFirms $US 4.95 and 1&1 Internet $US 5.99. Note that those are "regular" pricing, while the $3 offers are limited-time promotional pricing. Yahoo's regular price is $US 9.99/year.

ArtistSeries
Feb 20th, 2006, 11:42 AM
And you often end up paying much more when you consider time, frustration, and customer service with some of these low priced registrars...

monokitty
Feb 20th, 2006, 01:02 PM
And you often end up paying much more when you consider time, frustration, and customer service with some of these low priced registrars...

How much customer service do you really need to maintain a domain name? Web hosting, yes, that I can see, but with a domain name, all you do after registering it, is point its DNS address to your server and leave it alone from there.

ArtistSeries
Feb 20th, 2006, 01:09 PM
You get what you pay for Lars.
So what kind of DNS service are you getting? Will they forward www.name.com, name.com, ftp and forward to a mail.name.com? How easy are the tools for a newbie? How easy will it be to transfer away a name after x time? How fast will your registrar react to a request?
GoDaddy tries to upsell you on everything and I can see how newbies ends up buying extra services they don't need. If you have a problem, you end up on hold on a non toll-free number....

Lars, I hate to see clients think they are getting a bargain and then I have charge them 1 hours time for whatever problems may arise....

gordguide
Feb 20th, 2006, 03:37 PM
1&1 Internet was the world's largest web host (based in Germany) although GoDaddy surpassed it this month.

Pure domain registrars are always net losers of sites (register, park, then actually put up a site at a "real" host, who then becomes the new registrar when the site goes live or upon renewal, or the name is allowed to lapse).

GoDaddy's gains are almost entirely due to people whom already have a web site, or those who are simply parking an address, who tend to move to the less expensive registrar upon renewal.

There is always an advantage to having local registrars and sometimes with smaller firms for support, etc. However, in some cases there's no need for hand holding whatsoever.

You have to decide which category you fall into, but personally, I didn't get <i>anything</i> beyond the basics for the annual $100+ registrars demanded six years ago [by a well-known Toronto based firm], and I have no problem dumping them whatsoever.

CanadaRAM
Feb 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM
You have to watch out for low cost domain registrars who will hit you with a $50 "administration fee" if you want to move the domain to another registrar when you are dissatisfied.

HowEver
Feb 20th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Has anyone here tried the $2.99 Yahoo service? Any problems with switching registrar later?

davidslegend
Feb 26th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Hi,

So, what registers do you guys recommend & what is a "reasonable" cost for domain name registerstration.

I bought a few domains from godaddy.com. I'd like to try an alternative though.

Best Regards,

davidslegend:yikes: :confused:

a7mc
Feb 26th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Personally, I like to recommend Omnis.com for domains. I refer all my hosting clients (I own a hosting and design company) to Omnis. They have great service, decent prices ($7.95 on last check), and a great domain management control panel if you have multiple domains. But then, pretty much all registrars around the $7-$9 range are the same.

A7

gmark2000
Feb 27th, 2006, 01:16 AM
registerstration
That's Bugs Bunny spelling (and pronounciation).