: X-Plane 8

kps
Feb 19th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Just purchased the flight-sim and I'm having issues using it with my current USB keyboard and mouse Apple keyboard, Logitec MX 1000 laser mouse). I can't seem to find a way to configure it, the software doesn't see certain movements or keystrokes.

Should I get a joystick, if so, which one? I'd hate to spend on a joystick that will refuse to be recognized or work properly.

If anyone uses this flight-sim, let me know your set-up.

See sig for hardware specs.

snowmen
Feb 19th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I used the CH Yoke USB before, but after all the problem with Mac (including not enough resources), I decide to purchase a Flight-Sim PC with only FS2004.

guzzi guy
Feb 19th, 2006, 03:02 PM
There's no substitute for the real thing:)

Seriously, how does it compare/ differ from M$ 2004??

snowmen
Feb 19th, 2006, 04:04 PM
well~ there are a lot more plug-in that you can purchase for M$...
Some planes are good such as PDMG, PSS, and etc... Their flight model are probably more realistic comparing with X-plane 7.
and some scenery that you can purchase are more realistic comparing with X-plane 7 (I only had 7)

The downside are
1. you need a good machine to run those plug-in well (24fps +), probably more expensive than PM Quad...
2. Yes, it crashes sometimes...

I only fly Cessna in the real life, and both Cessna in the game are not realistic by default. (Even though X-plane seems a bit better than F$)

harzack86
Feb 19th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I'm using a Logitech Wingman force 3D and the default Apple keyboard with X-Plane 8.32 without a flaw (I'm a beginner with this sim and I don't fly in real).
I've read advices not to use that joystick though as it's not very precise, but rather use a Saitek or a CH Products joystick. So, although I purchased it because of its price and availability, I'm not sure i'd recommend it.
It's also commonly advised that X-Plane can only be played well with a joystick.

My hardware config is a G4 MDD 2x1GHz with 1.75Gb RAM and a Mac & PC ATI Radeon 9600 (256Mb video RAM).

Heart
Feb 20th, 2006, 12:11 AM
A few years ago I picked up a cheapo:
Grapvis Destroyer Xtreme #10512
I think it was $19.95 on sale at Grand 'n Toy. :lmao:

Works fine for me!

kps
Feb 20th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Looks like I should consider something from CH.