: ebooks

monster and machine
Feb 18th, 2006, 07:39 PM
i guess this maybe isn't exactly mac related but i'll post it anyway.

i have a ton of ebooks that i would like to read out of the house, and since i don't feel like lugging around a generator and a powermac i think i will look for an option a tad more portable. any ideas for a cheap and easy device that will allow me to read ebooks anywhere i want?

Macified
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Get yourself the best Palm based PDA you can afford. The more expensive the unit the better the screen but even a basic Palm will be okay. I use a Palm Zire 72s and it is great.

Having one of the Palm units you can use iSilo to create books from text files. If your books are in pdf format, you can load the Palm pdf reader app. If they are word files you can use iSilo to convert or you can load a word reader app. Lots of options none of which is entirely perfect but are all quite passable. Once you blow through your own library you can buy Palm compatible ebooks from ereader.com or audio books (with an appropriate Palm device) from audible.com.

Good luck.

winwintoo
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:39 PM
I read ebooks on my Palm Tungsten T5. The T5 is not at the bottom of the list pricewise, but I think there are ebook readers for all the Palm models - even the Zire 31. There are probably lots of Palms on ebay. I have no experience with the Windows based PDAs, but I imagine they are the same.

Sony is coming out with a reader using the e-ink technology, but it will be in the $500 range and nobody knows if you'll be able to put your own manuscripts on it.

Back to the T5 - the screen is bright with good backlight so you can read in the dark. Advancing through the book is simple either with the stylus or the rocker button. Text is crisp.

I don't buy paper books any more.

HTH Margaret