: Ram question/advice for imac G5 isight model

vapour
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Is anybody using the last rev imac G5 2.1 Ghz isight model. I was thinking of getting one but I noticed the ram is soldered on the mother board, which make adding more than a 1 gig chip expensive...Anybody using it with 1.5 gigs of ram for video? I have 2 gigs of ram on my original imac g5 and dropping to 1.5 seems like a bummer. Any speculations on how much of a difference this would make?

Thanks

Hangman
Feb 18th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I have the very model in question. I had a 1 gig chip installed when I got it (three months ago) and it works fine for me. However, this is the first Mac I've ever owned so I can't compare it to anything else. I've used iMovie and seen a lot of trailers with QuickTime and have experienced no problems.

MacDoc
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:13 PM
That's is an annoyance but we can't see enough gain to move up and it's orphan RAM too.

For the extra RAM cost it brings the Intel in play and ultimately that will be the speed winner.
Stick with 1.5 IMNSHO ;)

That's the way we are bundling them up.

If you need serious video horsepower get a dual G5.

vapour
Feb 18th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the input. I have been waying up the Rev C imac vs Intel. I think I will get a Rev C for now and enjoy the bigger screen for photoshop. Then get an imac intel 2nd or 3rd rev...Also when I took the time to measure my memory usage even on a large photoshop file I was oly hitting about 600mb of ram so 1.5 vs 2 is probably not worth the extra cost...