: Extra batter option from Canadian Tire

Macified
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I just picked up a neat product from Canadian Tire. It's a battery pack that claims to extend the usage time of your laptop by 2.5. It is an external battery pack into which you plug your AC power adapter. It only offers 100 watt output at 3.3V so it's no huge powerhouse but if it works it will make some of those longer flights a little more bearable. Best of all is that it was on sale for $89. A NewerTech battery will set you back $150 US for about the same amount of use.

I'll let you know how it works out.

ColBalt
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Do you have a Battery name or a website. I'd like to look into it.
Cheers

Macified
Feb 17th, 2006, 05:41 PM
XPower Pocket Powerpack 100

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/187/p/1/pt/30/product.asp is the website for the manufacturer. These guys make the Eliminator products for Canadian Tire as well as other stuff. Current CT price is $89 on sale from $129 and it can be ordered online.

Rob
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:56 PM
When the headline said "Exta Batter", the first thing I thought of was fish and chips.

Is that how Canadian Tire is planning to get rid of all that used motor oil? XX)

RobTheGob
Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:59 PM
When the headline said "Exta Batter", the first thing I thought of was fish and chips.

Mmmmm - Halibut...

rgray
Feb 22nd, 2006, 06:08 PM

Mmmmm - Halibut...
<drool>... tartar sauce, fries and cole slaw.....

... going offline....</drool>

Macified
Feb 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Took mine back today and won't recommend it further...

I don't think the unit was defective, just didn't do what it should. When I tried using it with my PowerBook the unit overheated after a few minutes of use and would cycle on and off. My PB power adapter was getting quite hot as well. The biggest issue with the unit I think is that they only include a 100W inverter. Going from DC to AC and back to DC (with the PB adapter) just plain causes too much heat. I think a 300W inverter would have been able to handle the load but there would still be potential heat issues in the PB adapter. Not worth the potential damage to the PB adapter or PB from the power cycling.

The biggest joke about the unit is that it actually shows a recent model Aluminum PB on the cover, plugged in just like mine was.

Time for lunch now.

gmark2000
Feb 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Another great idea from Canadian Tire...

http://www.thehammer.ca/content/2005/0815/ted_frustrated.jpg

The Doug
Feb 28th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Time for lunch now.

Home made phish & microchips?

jamied
Mar 5th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I picked up this same unit a few months ago and have used it with a Dell laptop and other devices such as battery chargers a number of times and it's worked perfectly. Drawbacks: It doesn't last 2.5 hours running a laptop (probably more like 1 to 1.5 hours - depending on what you're doing), and it's *really* heavy.

J.