: Apple 20" Wide vs Dell 20" wide an indeph comparison

shoe
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Im not sure if this link was shared I did a quick search and it wasnt listed.

I just read a 10 page review on the 2 compared side by side. It was very deep with charts and images compared side by side.

they spoke of the screen, the casing, the controls, the tilt swivel, the actual image, the backliting, how it worked with different apps, video and game play.

very good side to side comparison for anyone who is considering buying either of the monitors, or has bought and wants to know how it stacks up ( dell customers wont be kicking themselfs)

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400&p=1

shoe

Heart
Feb 17th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Great link......

Down to the wire!
And then they talk about $$$$$'s

MacDoc
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Personally I really like the stand on the Dell even tho it's ugly - far and away better ergonomics - it can go very low and tilt - an ideal feature. :clap:

satchmo
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I've kind of wondered if Apple couldn't have added some of the Dell functionality to it's Cinema displays.
Of course still keeping it simple and elegant but just another layer in the stand that extends out for height adjustment.

lightbulb
Feb 17th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I currently have both monitors side by side in landscape mode; while it's true both use the same LCD, there are many other parts that make up the whole unit. After calibration with Coloreyes, the Apple is hands down, the better of my 2. I should mention this is 1 of 2 2005FPWs I own and would handily recommend it when factoring in the cost relative to the Apple but it is NOT the equal of the 20" ACD.

What make the ACD "better" ? deeper blacks while still showing shadow detail, smoother black to white ramp and just plain colour rendition (subjective plain eyeball method). My latest Dell had to be replaced because of fairly severe backlight leakage and the replacement is still inferior to my 1st Dell.

BTW, in my commercial photo studio, I still prefer my Lacie CRT above all based on my own samples and experience. For most users, the Dell would be an excellent choice.

mycatsnameis
Feb 17th, 2006, 02:55 PM
The Dell 24" is apparently a better monitor thatn Apple's 23" as well (same res on both) and is much cheaper. There are extensive discussions on that issue on Macintouch and Barefeats for those interested. Occasionally, Dell offers big discount coupons on these units which exaggerate the price defference even more. Have to check often and move fast when they become available though.

farfisa
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:09 PM
I wonder how the 30"-ers compare.... I find them disorientingly large, but I've seen the Dell for almost as low as the Apple 23".

Commodus
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I wonder how the 30"-ers compare.... I find them disorientingly large, but I've seen the Dell for almost as low as the Apple 23".

Believe it or not, I think many would give the nod to Apple's display. It's more expensive, but apparently the colour uniformity is better - important when an off-colour corner could take up several square inches of space. And of course, when you're already spending a lot of money on a display, the casing itself matters. :) I'd spend the extra money on the Apple display just for maximum visual effect.

Paul O'Keefe
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:31 PM
We are ordering one of those 20" Dell widescreen Ultrasharps for a designer at work. He's on a PC. I think it will be a good display.

One guy I know had a 19" Dell Ultrasharp 4:3 display and sold it because it gave him headaches... he's back to CRTs as a result.

CN
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:59 PM
The Dell 24" is apparently a better monitor thatn Apple's 23" as well (same res on both) and is much cheaper. There are extensive discussions on that issue on Macintouch and Barefeats for those interested. Occasionally, Dell offers big discount coupons on these units which exaggerate the price defference even more. Have to check often and move fast when they become available though.

I had heard that the Dell 24" is pretty poor in terms of quality...much worse than both Apple's and Dell's 20" offerings. Do you have any links to these articles? I was thinking of picking up the Dell 24" when there was a great deal on the for around $900, but held off because of comments that the image quality was lacking...

Eidetic
Feb 17th, 2006, 04:04 PM
i like my dell's cheap and cheerfull, i do mainly audio so having perefect reference isn't important when looking at grey logic screens :)

if i was a gfx guy then i would have probably not considered the dell's

mycatsnameis
Feb 17th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I had heard that the Dell 24" is pretty poor in terms of quality...much worse than both Apple's and Dell's 20" offerings. Do you have any links to these articles? I was thinking of picking up the Dell 24" when there was a great deal on the for around $900, but held off because of comments that the image quality was lacking...

Well if you add "www" before and ".com" after and then do a search ... :lmao:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/displays/topic2147.html

http://www.barefeats.com/lcd.html

Note teh BF comments on reseting the gamma for the Dell to "Native" in order to correct the colour (the OS X default setting is too low => washed out colours).

Z06jerry
Feb 17th, 2006, 05:05 PM
I have been using a Dell 2405 for a couple of month's and I really like it. I span with a 15" Hi Rez Powerbook. I wouldn't hesitate tp recommend it. My only complaint was that the brightness level is set too high "out of the box" (I think I read somewhere that this was due to it being optimized for PC's instead of Macs). I turned it down as low as possible using the onboard control and then used a 2.2 gamma setting rather than the 1.8. FWIW, I think the stand is very versitile, I find the adjustable height and tilt to be very useful, and its rotaion makes it easy to access the input connectors. I like the aesthetics of the stand and I also regularly use the card reader and the USB hub. Its 1920x1200 resolution allows enough space for side by side work. I purchased it before Christmas and Dell price prtected me to 899 when they had it on sale. Overall I think it deserves a two thumbs up rating!

shoe
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:51 PM
anyone tried wiring their video game system to these monitors?

not bad!

shoe

phuviano
Feb 18th, 2006, 02:00 AM
I have the 2405fpw monitor and I think its great. I don't know how the apple 23" stacks up, but I have no complaints about this monitor.

Most reviews I've read says the apple 23" is better because the colours don't look so washed out. I don't have any problems with my dell and the colours. I think they look fine. The apple monitor is pratically double the price of the Dell. I really don't think its worth that much even if it is better than the Dell.

Dell also offers a 3 year warranty so you have no worries if you decide to invest in this monitor.

Mac-Man
Feb 18th, 2006, 05:45 AM
I have a 2405fpw as well and am very pleased with it.

I also purchased a Roger's Standard Digital Box for $79 and hooked it up through s-video.

I now have a TV as well which I'm constantly viewing through picture and picture.