: For the Intel iMac owners

Apple101
Feb 16th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I have a question; before I get my Intel iMac I am just wondering have any of you guys used WINE to run native Windows applications without Windows? The current PPC version doesn’t seem to properly run some .exe files. The x86 Intel version according to some developers that I have talked to will run Windows applications natively without a hitch.

Vexel
Feb 16th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I will be testing this out by the weekend.. I'll have my iMac tonight or tomorrow :)

mikef
Feb 16th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I cannot comment on Wine on OS X, but having tried to use it on Linux, all I can say is don't get your hopes up. I commend the project leaders for their effort, however it's just not there yet. I'd be looking toward a x86 version of Virtual PC.

dona83
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:02 PM
To add to this, can anyone get Unreal Tournament 2004 or Simcity 4 or something, force it under Rosetta, played under 1024x768 with medium graphics and no anti-alliasing and see if it's playable? :)

Apple101
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I will be testing this out by the weekend.. I'll have my iMac tonight or tomorrow

Hey let me know how it goes eh! Also please throw in a little commentary of how you like the Intel iMac because I am getting more people to switch to Mac.

I cannot comment on Wine on OS X, but having tried to use it on Linux, all I can say is don't get your hopes up. I commend the project leaders for their effort, however it's just not there yet. I'd be looking toward a x86 version of Virtual PC.

What version of Linux was it? X86 or PPC? Also I got to ask peoples opinion on something. When Microsoft releases an x86 version of VPC do you think it won’t have the performance lag like it did when using it on a PPC Mac? Also do you use Windows XP on VPC? And I am thinking of getting Novel Suse personal to try out with VPC of course, has anyone used Suse before? What is it like compared to other versions such as the one I am use to which is Red Hat?

Vexel
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:18 PM
To add to this, can anyone get Unreal Tournament 2004 or Simcity 4 or something, force it under Rosetta, played under 1024x768 with medium graphics and no anti-alliasing and see if it's playable? :)
http://www.macminute.com/2006/02/03/unreal-2004/

It's already UNIVERSAL :)

No word yet on Sim City 4, however.

MacDoc
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:22 PM
World of Warcraft works fine under Rosetta.... a slowish but playable 20 FPS - now it's native it's super at 60FPS. Give you a reference for BEFORE and AFTER :D

Great machines.....will somebody PLEASE buy my 2.3 DualCore - our 256 20" Intels are arriving tomorrow or Monday and I want a reason to switch tho I'll miss the Raptor 150......hmmmmmmm ;)

Kosh
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:44 PM

I was going to say the same thing... why would you run UT2004 under Rosetta when it's been ported.

dona83
Feb 16th, 2006, 08:51 PM
_Force_ UT2004 to run under Rosetta to see if it's playable, I know it's playable on my iBook G4 but see if it's playable when forced to play under Rosetta, to see how it stacks up against a G4 processor. Most people are complaining about Rosetta's speed against a G5 and there are some speed tests against a G4 but no gaming tests against a G4.

dona83
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:10 PM
World of Warcraft works fine under Rosetta.... a slowish but playable 20 FPS - now it's native it's super at 60FPS. Give you a reference for BEFORE and AFTER :D

Great machines.....will somebody PLEASE buy my 2.3 DualCore - our 256 20" Intels are arriving tomorrow or Monday and I want a reason to switch tho I'll miss the Raptor 150......hmmmmmmm ;)

Now that's what I'm looking for! WoW won't even run on my iBook G4, so if it runs under Rosetta than sweeet and if it runs natively on an Intel than sweeeeet-er.

moonsocket
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Now that's what I'm looking for! WoW won't even run on my iBook G4, so if it runs under Rosetta than sweeet and if it runs natively on an Intel than sweeeeet-er.

I ran it on my iBook fine. Dont you have a 1.33?

Apple101
Feb 16th, 2006, 10:31 PM

SWEEEET!! Thats cool UT is universal. I am very happy to hear that!

mikef
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:13 PM
What version of Linux was it? X86 or PPC?

x86. I run Gentoo and Ubuntu Linux at home on my PCs.

When Microsoft releases an x86 version of VPC do you think it won’t have the performance lag like it did when using it on a PPC Mac?

Do you realize that VPC is doing? It's emulating an entire PC. There is always going to be some "performance lag", it's inevitable.

And I am thinking of getting Novel Suse personal to try out with VPC of course, has anyone used Suse before? What is it like compared to other versions such as the one I am use to which is Red Hat?

I develop on SuSE at work but don't see the desktop of it (just ssh into the server). I've used it before and there's no compelling reason for me to use it again. I prefer Ubuntu and RedHat.

Apple101
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Do you realize that VPC is doing? It's emulating an entire PC. There is always going to be some "performance lag", it's inevitable.

I develop on SuSE at work but don't see the desktop of it (just ssh into the server). I've used it before and there's no compelling reason for me to use it again. I prefer Ubuntu and RedHat.

Well I just figured that since the Intel Macs are already x86 there wouldn’t be as much lag then if you were to run in on a PPC Mac. I hope I don’t look too stupid for saying this because I know I have heard this before I just didn’t know if it was true :confused: According to some sources Windows XP Media Center is capable of booting on an x86 Mac because it supports EFI.

And thanks for your input on Suse. I was just wondering what other people thought of the Operating System.

adam1185
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:29 PM
I have a question; before I get my Intel iMac I am just wondering have any of you guys used WINE to run native Windows applications without Windows? The current PPC version doesn’t seem to properly run some .exe files. The x86 Intel version according to some developers that I have talked to will run Windows applications natively without a hitch.

WINE will run some Windows apps. I successfully ran winzip 10 and the best game of all time, Ski Free! Most apps won't work for the time being. I tried a bunch and most of them failed either during the install or when I tried to run them. The simpler apps will probably run fine.

mikef
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Well I just figured that since the Intel Macs are already x86 there wouldn’t be as much lag then if you were to run in on a PPC Mac.

There might be some performance gain, but don't expect the virtual machine to run anywhere near the same speed as Windows running natively on the same hardware.

According to some sources Windows XP Media Center is capable of booting on an x86 Mac because it supports EFI.

Hasn't happened yet, so it's not quite that easy. Personally, I have no interest of running Windows on my Mac.

pent675
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Greatings,

I have just recived my new Intel iMAC and I am having huge issues with it. I have had to unplug it several times as it is hung. I have it hooked up to my Dell 2005fpw monitor via min DVI. Each time I try to get my music from my 300MB Maxxtor external drive my system locks up and both monitors turn a shade of pink with a dark pink band at the bottom. Then nothing works at all. I have turned off all power saving and still having the issue. I am not very impressed so far.

mikef
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Sounds like you got a lemon...