: Which Video Card?

MannyP Design
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I'm looking to upgrade the stock video card in my Dual 1.8 G5. I'm pretty sure I'm going for an ATI card: Probably the Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Special Edition (256), but I noticed they also have the Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition which appears to much better than the Radeon 9800 Pro Mac SE... and for only $100 more dollars.

I plan on having dual monitors (or perhaps get a Cinema display some time down the road,) and would like to get something that not only give my 3D/AV apps some much needed kick but offer some decent gaming performance boosts.

Any opinions? Alternatives to the X800? Yay, or Nay? :D

TIA!

kent
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Not familiar with the card, but I always recommend that people in graphic-related fields get the best card they can afford. For a 100 bux, I'd go with the better card - especially running dual monitors. I would have liked to get the NVIDIA 7800 GT with my Quad, but the build times were outrageous at the time so I had to go with the stock NVIDIA 6600 - still a fine card.

The dual 1.8 is PCI right not PCI-X?

Congrats on the new G5 too - G5s are sooooo sweet! And beautiful too!

MannyP Design
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I believe my model came with PCI-X.

Kosh
Feb 16th, 2006, 01:07 AM
The dual 1.8 is PCI right not PCI-X?

Congrats on the new G5 too - G5s are sooooo sweet! And beautiful too!

Manny, if you have a dual G5 1.8 PM, you have an AGP 8x Pro Graphics card, so the BEST card for games that you can buy retail is the ATI Radeon X800XT. Twice as fast as any ATI Radeon 9800 and well worth the cash. I'll be upgrading to it, too, probably this year, as it is likely the last high-end AGP graphics card we'll see. The only other good card is the Geforce 6800GT, and it costs more and is alot larger card. Maybe I'll find Doom III cheap or get Quake 4 when it comes out.

kent
Feb 16th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Manny, if you have a dual G5 1.8 PM, you have an AGP 8x Pro Graphics card, so the BEST card for games that you can buy retail is the ATI Radeon X800XT. Twice as fast as any ATI Radeon 9800 and well worth the cash. I'll be upgrading to it, too, probably this year, as it is likely the last high-end AGP graphics card we'll see. The only other good card is the Geforce 6800GT, and it costs more and is alot larger card. Maybe I'll find Doom III cheap or get Quake 4 when it comes out.

Ahh ... right you are! Forgot about AGP ... Actually, I have a friend with the same card you suggest [ATI Radeon X800XT] and he loves it! He does a lot of 3D CAD work and animation; he has been very happy with it. Good recommendation.

MannyP Design
Feb 16th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Excellent. :D

Da Grape
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Since were on the topic, if your Mac has PCI X, can you just get any PCI X Video Card out there or there are compatibility issues were restricted to a few? It seems on PC, if it fits, it works?

Kosh
Feb 17th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Since were on the topic, if your Mac has PCI X, can you just get any PCI X Video Card out there or there are compatibility issues were restricted to a few? It seems on PC, if it fits, it works?

First, PCI-X is NOT PCI Express (PCIe).

Second, there are no PCI-X video cards, you have to use PCI cards that are compatible with PCI-X.

Third, you cannot directly use a PC card in a Mac without flashing the ROM/firmware of the card, unless that card has both Mac/PC firmware. This hasn't changed with the Intel Macs. By the way, there is ONLY 1 video graphics card that has Mac/PC firmware and that is the new Mac/PC ATI Radeon 9600 video card which is for AGP equipped Power Macs.

MannyP Design
Feb 17th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Manny, if you have a dual G5 1.8 PM, you have an AGP 8x Pro Graphics card, so the BEST card for games that you can buy retail is the ATI Radeon X800XT. Twice as fast as any ATI Radeon 9800 and well worth the cash. I'll be upgrading to it, too, probably this year, as it is likely the last high-end AGP graphics card we'll see.

Out of curiosity, why do you say it'll (likely) be the last last high-end card?

I've not kept up on the whole PCIe, PCI-X, AGP stuff when the G5 came out so all this is very new to me.

PosterBoy
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:35 PM

I've not kept up on the whole PCIe, PCI-X, AGP stuff when the G5 came out so all this is very new to me.

It won't be the last high end card, but it's possible that it (and it's x850 brothers, and I think one more generation after that, haven't checked since I built my PC) will be the last of the really high end cards to be AGP.

Most new higher end cards are going to PCIe. nVidia and ATI both have system where you can link two PCIe cards together to near-double your performance (in certain cases) too, which is neat.

Kosh
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Posterboy, more or less answered that. I forgot to qualify that statement - ie. that it will be the last high-end AGP card we'll see. The Radeon X800XT Mac AGP card is at least a year old now, and there have been no rumors of an successor to it. All new high-end cards are PCI Express (PCIe) cards which will only work in the brand new dual core Power Mac G5s that have PCIe slots.

Suite Edit
Feb 17th, 2006, 03:45 PM
nVidia and ATI both have system where you can link two PCIe cards together to near-double your performance (in certain cases) too, which is neat.
:eek:
Damn! That is SOOOO sweet!

I can't wait.

MannyP Design
Feb 17th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Posterboy, more or less answered that. I forgot to qualify that statement - ie. that it will be the last high-end AGP card we'll see. The Radeon X800XT Mac AGP card is at least a year old now, and there have been no rumors of an successor to it. All new high-end cards are PCI Express (PCIe) cards which will only work in the brand new dual core Power Mac G5s that have PCIe slots.

Right... does this mean my Mac would have PCI-X, but the new PMacs have PCIe, correct? Apple doesn't seem to carry specs on my generation G5 PM--it only links to the current G5s. My system profile doesn't specify what type of slots I have (just says PCI), however, EveryMac says they are PCI-X (well, it does and doesn't... the description mentions PCI-X, but the specs below refer to just PCI slots.)

http://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/stats/powermac_g5_1.8_dp_2.html

Confused. :D

Kosh
Feb 17th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Manny, if your Dual 1.8 PM G5 has 4 RAM slots, it has PCI slots. If your Dual 1.8 PM G5 has 8 RAM slots, it has PCI-X slots.

Only the current generation of PM G5's (the Dual Core PM G5's) have PCIe (PCI Express) slots.

PosterBoy
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Manny, if your Dual 1.8 PM G5 has 4 RAM slots, it has PCI slots. If your Dual 1.8 PM G5 has 8 RAM slots, it has PCI-X slots.

And either way it has an AGP slot for graphics.