: What online reseller has the best Crucial memory prices?

SonicBlue82
Feb 15th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I'm looking to purchase a 1 GB Crucial memory stick (DDR2 667 PC2-5300) for my MacBook Pro. Does anyone have some recommendations on Canadian online resellers that have good prices? I couldn't find it on TigerDirect. Or if you've purchased other memory for your PowerBook and would recommend another brand, feel free! I'm open to suggestions. I chose Crucial because I've heard good things about their memory with Macs ... but they do seem pretty expensive. Thanks!

iMatt
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:28 AM
I'm looking to purchase a 1 GB Crucial memory stick (DDR2 667 PC2-5300) for my MacBook Pro. Does anyone have some recommendations on Canadian online resellers that have good prices? I couldn't find it on TigerDirect. Or if you've purchased other memory for your PowerBook and would recommend another brand, feel free! I'm open to suggestions. I chose Crucial because I've heard good things about their memory with Macs ... but they do seem pretty expensive. Thanks!

AFAIK, Crucial is the only place to buy Crucial-brand chips.

dona83
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:21 AM
I bought Crucial 512MB for my iBook at UBC Bookstore!

iMatt
Feb 16th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I bought Crucial 512MB for my iBook at UBC Bookstore!

Then I guess I don't know very far. ;)

SonicBlue82
Feb 16th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Has anyone bought RAM from 18004memory.com or OWC ??

OWC has a pretty decent price ($115), and they're a reputable company. Although I've never purchased anything from OWC, I've heard nothing but good experiences from them. For the MacBook Pro, they've got their own brand and TechWorks - any comments? I would probably just go with the OWC brand. How is OWC for returns or if you receive a DOA product? Good customer service?

I was also checking out 18004memory - they've got the lowest price yet ($105) - I'm not so sure about them though - anyone have good/bad experiences?

Those prices are for 1 GB, btw.

ender78
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I'll also be in the market for such RAM in the next 72 hours [hope to have my MacBook by then]. My Crumpler from E-BAY bag as well as my iCurve should be arriving in the mail tomorrow.

On a side note, here's a plug for mostlydigital.ca . I picked up my iCurve with them with really cheap shipping. I paid less with shipping for the iCurve and a Griffin PowerPod than I would have paid for just the iCurve at pretty much everyone I have seen.

MacDoc
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Just a heads up this RAM is climbing rapidly - 20% up last week so

a) load up
b) make sure the price is current
c) be warned thsi RAm is subject tothe same constraints as previously noted about "working in any specific machine".
Make sure of your return polices.

SonicBlue82
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Which Crumpler bag did you buy, ender78? I picked up the Dreadful Embarrassment :)

Elemenopee
Feb 16th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Has anyone bought RAM from 18004memory.com or OWC ??

OWC has a pretty decent price ($115), and they're a reputable company. Although I've never purchased anything from OWC, I've heard nothing but good experiences from them. For the MacBook Pro, they've got their own brand and TechWorks - any comments? I would probably just go with the OWC brand. How is OWC for returns or if you receive a DOA product? Good customer service?

OWC ram is fine. When I bought RAM from them and had problems with a crashing G5, they exchanged it without a problem. [Aside: it turned out that my crashing problems were a computer problem, not a ram problem.]

mycatsnameis
Feb 17th, 2006, 11:21 AM
In case some of you are unaware, www.ramseeker.com (http://www.ramseeker.com) gives you a pretty good overview of prices from various vendors for specific Mac machines. Just beware that, unless you're able to secure USPS shipping (or buy up for FedEx overnight) you're likely to get hit with a significant brokerage fee from teh other shippers (DHL, UPS, "FedEx Ground"). Still it usually works out cheaper to buy from a US vendor.

For local companies (in Toronto) I like www.PCVillagecanada.com (http://www.PCVillagecanada.com) b/c I know if I have a problem I can take it back to them (they've got a bunch of locations in TO). If you see one of their web specials that you like, make sure you mention you want the web special price when you go to the store b/c the in store price may be higher. I've bought HDs, memory and FW/USB enclosures from them and have never had a problem. They don't know from Mac though so you have to know what you're looking for when you go in.