: Lightroom Beta 2

Pelao
Feb 14th, 2006, 12:01 PM
For those interested, Beta 2 of Lightroom has been released.

http://labs.macromedia.com/technologies/lightroom/

I believe there are still some spaces at the Lightroom workshop in Toronto

http://www.beanstreamcarts.com/stores/canadianphotographiccentre/product.asp?ProdID=6997&GroupID=&c=0&ust=NgjGf0d%2DRKABiGMrGkRCqYSNRuDTc%2DeVwUpH1ZbvXK XklzdKPZNKyIfet2s9b4WteDezPgA

jdurston
Feb 14th, 2006, 12:23 PM
I love lightroom. I don't need all the artistic features of Photoshop, I just want to get the most out of my captured images, with a simple workflow. I have 1500 RAW images from my wedding to process.

Lightroom is going to be a hit. I just downloaded the second beta last night.

I haven't tried Aperture yet.

Pelao
Feb 14th, 2006, 01:07 PM
I love lightroom. I don't need all the artistic features of Photoshop, I just want to get the most out of my captured images, with a simple workflow. I have 1500 RAW images from my wedding to process.

Agreed. PS is great, but is certainly not designed with photographers as a starting point. Lightroom allows a logical progression and some really excellent controls.

It's looking good!

macguy.nielsen
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Technically you can't compare PS with Lightroom/Aperture/iPhoto/Bridge. Since Lightroom/Aperture/iPhoto/Bridge are in their essence are picture filing systems, with Aperture/Lightroom/iPhoto having some very basic photo coloring options.

If more people ultilized all the great PS tutorials and videos on the web you'd fined that you're going to learn PS a lot easier and faster then if you just diving into it without any prior knowledge, like a kid jumping into an empty pool.

Pelao
Feb 14th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Technically you can't compare PS with Lightroom/Aperture/iPhoto/Bridge. Since Lightroom/Aperture/iPhoto/Bridge are in their essence are picture filing systems, with Aperture/Lightroom/iPhoto having some very basic photo coloring options.

If more people ultilized all the great PS tutorials and videos on the web you'd fined that you're going to learn PS a lot easier and faster then if you just diving into it without any prior knowledge, like a kid jumping into an empty pool.

To tackle your second point first - I agree, and personally have no problem using Photoshop. However, it has a lot of capability not necessarily useful to Photographers.

With regard to your first point - I can only assume you have not looked into Lightroom in any depth. Its is far from simply a picture filing system. You are simply wrong about that. In the Develop section of Lightroom you have more control than you do in ACR, and we are only in Beta 2. If Lightroom were simply for filing images professional photographers would not be following it's development so closely.

You might want to look here:
http://www.photoshopuser.com/lightroom/index.html

Or maybe here:
http://www.outbackphoto.com/artofraw/raw_24/essay.html#20060214

Or cruise around some of the more prominent Photo pro sites.

Lightroom certainly is not aimed at replacing PS, but it is aimed at maintaining a grip on the photographer market by providing specifically what that market requires to ingest, manage and edit their images within one application interface. That is why some PS heavyweights such as Bruce Fraser, martin Evening and Jeff Schewe are so keen on the app. As Schewe says " For many/most photographers, Lightroom may end up offering all the image editing needed. Add that to the fact that image management (DAM) will continue to expand in LR and you have the basis for a complete workflow for photographers...at least a 95% solution."

jdurston
Feb 14th, 2006, 05:32 PM

Lightroom is a lot more than a picture filer. RAW adjustments are easy and effective. Lightroom in Beta form supplies most of the features/adjustments necessary to make the most of a captured image.

Photoshop doesn't offer the integrated experience of Lightroom. In the feature I see Photoshop being used only on a handful of images with most the workflow staying within one app like Lightroom or maybe Aperture.

macguy.nielsen
Feb 14th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I have used Lightroom for a month now, and it is Aperture for Adobe. To say that PS is mainly useless for photographers is a blanket statement that is ill advised. If you have done any depth of photo editing with PS you will realize that PS offers a crap load of things. And that photographers can take advantage of everything in PS to work with when editing, you just have to know how to use it and when.

I think both of you missed me saying that Lightroom is a file managment with color correction and crop. Now read that second part again....[i]with color correction and crop[i]. Yes Lightroom goes into some depth when dealing with this, but it is not the end all program. Lightroom is a good program, I am not denieing this what-so-ever. All I am saying is that it is more of a file management system and color correction then it is a good editor.

I assume that both of you do not do any serious editing with photos or take advantage of all the things in PS when you edit, that is why you are both so excited about Lightroom. And if all you need is a little color correct, and a crop tool, then Lightroom is for you. But, if you go into the professional realm of photography, PS is the standard, and lightroom would be used as an advanced sorting tool and a minor color correct.

In ending, yes, Lightroom is a great program.

Pelao
Feb 14th, 2006, 06:05 PM
To say that PS is mainly useless for photographers is a blanket statement that is ill advised.

Who said that?

If you have done any depth of photo editing with PS you will realize that PS offers a crap load of things. And that photographers can take advantage of everything in PS to work with when editing, you just have to know how to use it and when.
No disagreement there - I am very comfortable working with PS.

All I am saying is that it is more of a file management system and color correction then it is a good editor.
Well, we will just have to disagree agreeably then, won't we. Perhaps you should blast off an e-mail to all the pros who like the app and are prepared to use it for virtually all their work.

I assume that both of you do not do any serious editing with photos or take advantage of all the things in PS when you edit, that is why you are both so excited about Lightroom.

You assume incorrectly. I don't think I mentioned excitement anywhere - but I am pleased at having one app that will handle most editing, especially in a RAW workflow.