: New Intel Mini for less than today's?

satchmo
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:39 PM
If the iMacs and MacBook Pros are any indication, Apple has decided to price their Intel based products at pretty much the same as G5 ones.

So instead of offering a price break, Apple will instead market Intels as "same price, but X-times the speed".

However, I'm hoping they'll offer the new Intel Mini for somewhere in the range of $750...fully loaded.

Sander
Feb 14th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I think the new Intel Mac Mini will be "cheaper" due to stronger Canadian currency. A $499 US would be priced around $599, not $629 as it is for the current Mac Minis.

Cheers!

pochien
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:01 AM
I personally think Apple Canada is very bad at converting US currency to Canadian currency...you can tell just by comparing prices on the same product in US and in Canada!

fyrefly
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:45 AM
I think Apple Canada has been doing better. With the most Recent iMac update, they cut the price $100 in Canada, but it remained the same in the US. So before the update, $1299US = $1599CAD, and with the Intel iMacs, $1299US = $1499CAD.

So hopefully, like Sander said, the new mini will be slightly cheaper in Canada. I think $599CAD makes sense, though my Dashboard Currency Converter says that right now $499US = $576.25CAD ... but I think that's wishful thinking. Maybe $579 CAD?

MacDaddy
Feb 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM
I still think that we will not see any price drops because of the Intel chip. I mean, Apple may be saving a buttload on the chips, but I doubt we will see any of that savings.

monokitty
Feb 14th, 2006, 12:33 PM
I still think that we will not see any price drops because of the Intel chip. I mean, Apple may be saving a buttload on the chips, but I doubt we will see any of that savings.

Bingo. Moving to an Intel chip means more money for Apple, which they wouldn't otherwise get if they passed those savings on to the end-user. Apple has always been an expensive company -- I don't understand why some of us are bent on the hope that certain chips and new technology that's cheaper will makes Apple drop their prices to match Dell price tags. Not going to happen, ever.

TroutMaskReplica
Feb 14th, 2006, 01:17 PM
-- I don't understand why some of us are bent on the hope that certain chips and new technology that's cheaper will makes Apple drop their prices to match Dell price tags.

because the mini is targetted to low end pc users.

Bighead
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:37 PM
But then I suspect Apple will be under a lot more pressure to update the speed of the CPU then before.

It would be quite embrassing when Dell and HP can offer laptops with essentially the same CPU but faster GHZ numbers.

Gone are the days when Apple can dictate the timetable for speed bumps.

twolf3232
Feb 14th, 2006, 04:31 PM
What's this about new minis?

Did I miss something? What's the rumour? When are they supposed to be announced? I'm a Windoze user right now, and I'm strongly considering switching to a mini in the next couple of months. Should I hold off?

Cheers,
Paul

mguertin
Feb 14th, 2006, 05:42 PM
You rarely see price drops in Apple's line really... they just add features. It's the same for most computer products. There's always a sort of base price and then timing outlines just what features you'll get for that price.

That said Apple has tossed us a lot of bones in the laptop lines lately but not yet in the mac mini. If there is a significant savings for them using intel processors for the mini's, then I think we will instead see the bonus of it in added hardware/features. Wireless, bluetooth, video INs/OUTs, that sort of thing. I think they will keep the price point pretty similar going ahead, at least for a while. They've sold a LOT of mini's and I don't think making it marginally cheaper will give them a big sales increase, but more features (like video in/PVR type capability) sure would!