: Google Chat!!

jdurston
Feb 13th, 2006, 05:57 PM
This is awesome. It's nicely integrated with gmail. Anyone with google mail should check it out.

I've got a ton of invites if anyone wants in.

greensuperman32
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:01 PM
oh man id love an invite

jdurston
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:29 PM
oh man id love an invite
sent

macguy.nielsen
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I don't understand why this is so great? ....am I missing something here?

jdurston
Feb 13th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I don't understand why this is so great? ....am I missing something here?

Google seems to do a lot smoother execution than MS. Google has also said they are going to support 3rd party chat clients.

Here is a link with more info: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=8405

I like not having to use any extra software other than my web browser. It works on any web connected computer.

g5tony
Feb 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Man I would love to use google chat, only problem is that all my friends are still on ugly msn! Maybe this will turn em.

macsackbut
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Too bad Safari isn't supported.

jdurston
Feb 13th, 2006, 09:11 PM

I just relized that. I use Firefox at work. I just downloaded it for my mac.
I wondered why the chat stuff didn't show up in Safari.

mr.steevo
Feb 13th, 2006, 09:54 PM

Too bad Google will hold on to all of your Chat's for who knows how long so that someone else can access them and use them against you.

s.

Spencer
Feb 13th, 2006, 09:54 PM
i'd love an invite jdurston!!!
Thanks

satchmo
Feb 13th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Hmm...I wouldn't mind an invite if anyone has an extra one.

Been wanting to get a Gmail account since all the cool dudes here at work have one.

kna
Feb 13th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Too bad Google will hold on to all of your Chat's for who knows how long so that someone else can access them and use them against you.

s.

Im pretty sure its an option.

And I use it with my cousin and one friend, mostly for voice chat. But when its compatable with MSN Messenger, Ill definatly use it over MSN!:cool:

ncoffey
Feb 13th, 2006, 10:17 PM

s.

Welcome to the internet.

Canuckmakem
Feb 14th, 2006, 12:11 AM
I use Google Chat but don't know many people who use it.

Get in touch.. I'm always ready to chat canuckmakem [at] gmail [dot] com

greensuperman32
Feb 14th, 2006, 03:35 AM
thanx a lot for the invite!

iPetie
Feb 14th, 2006, 08:54 AM
The really cool thing about this, outside of the obvious, is that you can Chat with any Jabber ID. Tested it out and am talking to a buddy at Jabber.org.

Also, if you dislike Firefox and crave a more Mac like feel, it works like a charm in Camino.

TroutMaskReplica
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:55 AM
just make sure you don't say anything that might offend the chinese government, or whichever government google might send the transcripts of your conversations to.

okcomputer
Feb 14th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Anyone looking for a Gmail invite, PM me. ;)

The chat functions don't work in one of my accounts yet, but they work in the other.. I found a way to get my msn contacts into google talk, but it's sort of painful and msn messes up. Might try again with a smaller list. Love Google Talk though - tiny client. Awesome.

shoe
Feb 14th, 2006, 12:52 PM
that notification box that follows you around is bothering me I dont like it and found it slows gmail down.

Not sure I like the idea of people knowing when Im online checking my email either so chat is turned off as there is no invisable mode for that.

I can just see it now: (female voice) "I saw you online and you didnt reply to my email"

shoe

khorlick
Feb 14th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Could i please have an invite to the chat program please.

[email protected]

iPetie
Feb 14th, 2006, 01:58 PM
that notification box that follows you around is bothering me I dont like it and found it slows gmail down.

Not sure I like the idea of people knowing when Im online checking my email either so chat is turned off as there is no invisable mode for that.

I can just see it now: (female voice) "I saw you online and you didnt reply to my email"

shoeIf you are signed out when you close GMail, you do not automatically sign in when opening GMail again. You will only appear online when and if you sign into chat. The notification Box thing is going to take some getting used to.

jdurston
Feb 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Could i please have an invite to the chat program please.

[email protected]
If you already have gmail you should have access to Chat. You need to use Firefox or some other browser.

iPetie
Feb 14th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Got my MSN contacts (Work-Don't Ask) into google talk. Works well except the log out and back in is required once in a while as it seems to be a little buggy updating on and off line MSN contacts. However, people can see me fine and the majority of my work chats are initiated by others.
It was a painful process using PSI but it worked. I'm not even going to attempt my AIM contacts because there are way to many.
However, Jabber contacts work like a dream.

BooyaMcNasty
Feb 15th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I'm a big fan of google chat. All my buddies use MSN. What to do? I just downloaded Adium - www.adiumx.com and it's a great little program. I like it a lot better than Fire. Works with all the major chat fuctions - including gchat, msn, aolim, etc etc.

Not to mention it's completely skinable and you can download a chuck norris random fact generator.