: iMac

dona83
Feb 13th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Was looking at the new iMac Core Duo 20" version at London Drugs the other day, I'm so excited i'm going to get one mid to late next month. Here are my observations.

1. Plays 1080p Quicktime HD beautifully, the previous G5 2.1Ghz was quite choppy (no duh, requires a G5 dual 2.5Ghz to play)

2. Really deep reds, I mean perhaps I'd get it calibrated to tone down the reds a bit but wow it totally cancels my complaints about colour saturation (particularily red and blue) in LCD screens, my iBook's screen looks dull in comparison. The reds in the iMac screen are just as deep as my Trinitron based CRT TV at home.

Now I do have a question, I remember Macs back in the day had a button on the keyboard with a left facing arrow that was the power button, where the heck is the power button on the iMac? (omg i feel like a newbie lol)

Apple101
Feb 13th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Was looking at the new iMac Core Duo 20" version at London Drugs the other day, I'm so excited i'm going to get one mid to late next month. Here are my observations.

1. Plays 1080p Quicktime HD beautifully, the previous G5 2.1Ghz was quite choppy (no duh, requires a G5 dual 2.5Ghz to play)

2. Really deep reds, I mean perhaps I'd get it calibrated to tone down the reds a bit but wow it totally cancels my complaints about colour saturation (particularily red and blue) in LCD screens, my iBook's screen looks dull in comparison. The reds in the iMac screen are just as deep as my Trinitron based CRT TV at home.

Now I do have a question, I remember Macs back in the day had a button on the keyboard with a left facing arrow that was the power button, where the heck is the power button on the iMac? (omg i feel like a newbie lol)

The power button is on the back. And I can’t wait until my Intel iMac comes in to replace my problematic eMac :)

DoNotPokeTheScreen
Feb 13th, 2006, 07:08 PM
The price of the G5 20inch cannot get any better...

mac_geek
Feb 13th, 2006, 07:59 PM
PowerPC represents the past. Invest for the future, and get the Intel iMac.

Another_Paul
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I was the first one from my local London Drugs to get a 20" Intel iMac 2 weeks ago. I love it, it works great. I previously had a 20" iMac which I exchanged for the Intel one.

Very satisfied.

Commodus
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM
The question I have to ask is this: what apps do you use often? If you're a frequent gamer and the bulk of the games you play won't get universal binaries (note that a couple of older games, like UT2K4 and Quake 3, have universal binaries), then you may want one last PowerPC Mac as a last hurrah. Same thing applies if you use Adobe apps frequently, or any other app which is really demanding and won't get a universal binary soon or ever.

But if your idea of gaming is World of Warcraft, and you mainly use Apple's apps or lightweight ones, then go with an Intel iMac.

As for size: I say 20" no matter which architecture is underneath. The screen is gorgeous and gives you a lot more room to breathe. You also get a bigger hard drive out of the box, which is good for longevity's sake.

Ian Seyler
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I just got my 20" iMac Core Duo on Friday and so far it's a great machine. The screen is very bright and it takes hardly any space on my desk.

512Megs of RAM really doesn't cut it so I upgraded to 2GB right away.

-Ian

dona83
Feb 13th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I use:
iLife '06 apps (iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand)
Quicktime (HD, video encoding)
Internet

I play:
Simcity 4 (PowerPC, plays choppy on my iBook)
Railroad Tycoon (Power PC, plays perfectly on my iBook)
Unreal Tournament 2004 (Universal Binary)

and I plan to play Doom 3.

I heard Rosetta on an iMac Intel Duo Core 2.0Ghz is around 5-33% faster than a PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz, which is 25-30% faster than my iBook, therefore I should even see some speed improvements over my iBook for Rosetta apps which at this point is all I'm asking for, equal or better speed. I'm planning to go to MacStation one day and ask if I can try Simcity 4 out on their Intel machines.

Vexel
Feb 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM
I'll be getting my Intel iMac 17" this week.. I'll be posting a nice long post :)

MacDoc
Feb 13th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Our 2 for those haven't seen our statement on our website and elsewhere here.

The 17" iMac Intel is the best value for money Apple has EVER offered.

That said the newly priced 20" G5 and and also the Intel 20" 256 are good choices.

The 17" is just outstanding - use the savings to load up on RAM. Maxxed = Magic.

BTW we have a steady stream of 256 iMac Intel 20s arriving. No hesitations on our part. :D

Our only regret is no card slot :(

dona83
Feb 14th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Polling will finish mid March when I finally make my purchase but this is clear, we may be heading for a MAJORITY Intel 20" government! :D Majority governments make me happy.

DoNotPokeTheScreen
Feb 14th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I was hoping for a G5 20 inch majority...

I was hoping for a conservative majority, too...

:( :ptptptptp

dona83
Feb 14th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Okay everyone.

iMac Intel Core Duo 20" = Liberal government sans scandal, economic prosperity for those who work for it, uninhibited progression forward.
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" = NDP government, equal power to all people even though it means the rich may settle for less, although there is still power underneath to move forward.
iMac G5 20" = Conservative government, they look like they're a good modern alternative to the others, power to those who work for it, but they still have the power to support a legacy of traditional mostly Christian values.

Another_Paul
Feb 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Okay everyone.

iMac Intel Core Duo 20" = Liberal government sans scandal, economic prosperity for those who work for it, uninhibited progression forward.
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" = NDP government, equal power to all people even though it means the rich may settle for less, although there is still power underneath to move forward.
iMac G5 20" = Conservative government, they look like they're a good modern alternative to the others, power to those who work for it, but they still have the power to support a legacy of traditional mostly Christian values.

LOL!

I like the "G5" Government but perfer the Intel chips :)

dona83
Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:17 PM
Just to keep everyone posted on what I eventually settled for, I ordered an iMac 20" Intel Core Duo with 256MB VRAM and 1GB RAM, and it should be coming late this week to early next week :D I was initially going to go with the iMac G5 yes simply because I wanted Simcity 4 to be compatible, but I reconsidered my decision and decided it was better to look ahead than worry about a game that plays fine on my iBook G4 which I'm keeping anyway, so anyway I will be posting pictures. :)

Stephanie
Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Congrats! I'm sure you'll be happy. I just sort of spontaneously picked up a 17" intel iMac today and it's really nice. I've got some ram on order but even with the stock 512MB it's quite fast and snappy, and the display is incredibly crisp and bright.

-Stephanie

overkill
Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:45 AM
i have a 17" at home and love it but if you can affored to get the 20" intel then go for it.

Pelao
Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:42 AM
17" Intel, and use the diff to buy a nice 2nd monitor, RAM etc.

satchmo
Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:46 AM
20" Intel iMac. This comes from someone who has actually experienced both.

I had the 20" G5 (non-iSight) a few months back and while it was (and still is)blazingly fast, I must say this new Intel one is even faster. Plus (for me), the 1/2" thinner casing makes it less slab-like in appearance.

Especially Safari where pages just pop up instaneously. And even apps like Illustrator running in Rosetta is pretty good.

If your career doesn't depend on Adobe or Universal apps and you can wait, get the Intel one...otherwise get the G5.

dona83
Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Haha people are still voting? well the 20" intel still holds the majority. I'm really sorry I revived this old post but I just wanted to announce what I got lol.

Pelao
Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Haha people are still voting? well the 20" intel still holds the majority. I'm really sorry I revived this old post but I just wanted to announce what I got lol.

Aaaah. Shows I should read the whole thing. Well congrats, and enjoy.

NBiBooker
Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:35 PM
iMac 20". Just do it! :) (With apologizes to Nike)