: Will Universal Binary apps increase speed two-fold?

satchmo
Feb 11th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Just wondering how much of speed gain apps will have running UB code?

For instance, would a Duo Core processor running natively, run 2x faster than a single G5 running on PPC? Is it that cut and dry?

I'd just hate to see that happen on Adobe Illustrator on my iMac G5 a mere year from now.

Vexel
Feb 11th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Universal Binary is going to be really good for performance on the Intel chips.. however, I don't know that you will see a 2X speed performance boost. Making them universal just means that they can run on both architectures.

Once people start coding for "Intel Only" without making them Universal.. is when we're going to see the biggest boost in performance, IMO. They'll be tweaking all of the code for the Intels only at that time and can get rid of a LOT of redundant code that might not be needed for it to run.

In short.. I think you're safe for quite some time :)

MacDoc
Feb 11th, 2006, 09:06 AM
No it won't it WILL be much faster than on Rosetta but not twice as fast as a single G5. I would guess upper range is 70% over the G5 single and as low as 10% depending on the nature of the app.

Those with high graphic card dependency could see very high results as that aspect of the DuoCore is truly outstanding. So gaming will get a big boost.