: PDF Publishing Gurus NEED HELP!

da_jonesy
Feb 10th, 2006, 03:35 PM
I have a PDF formatted for 8.5x11 and I want to shrink it down to to fit on 6x9... any thoughts on how I can do this without going to my original document and having to reformat everything?

I just want to shrink it down.

Any suggestions?

mguertin
Feb 10th, 2006, 03:36 PM
You might be able to import it into InDesign or Photoshop and just rasterize it to the size you want and re-export (?)

da_jonesy
Feb 10th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Do I have to do that for each page?

mguertin
Feb 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM
yep.

Macified
Feb 10th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Can you just print it at a reduced percentage to fit the smaller paper size or is there some reason you need the actual document changed?

You should be aware that the ratios are off when going from 8.5 by 11 (1:1.294) to 6 by 9 (1:1.5). Unless there is some margin that can be cropped, you won't get an even reduction.

da_jonesy
Feb 10th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I think I got it...

Step 1 Open PDF in Acrobat
Step 2 Go to page properties... set to 6x9
Step 3 Go to print... make sure set to to scale to 6x9 and centered (I have large margins)
Step 4 Print to postscript file
Step 5 Convert postscript to PDF

Bingo... think I did it.

TroutMaskReplica
Feb 10th, 2006, 04:23 PM
are you going to press with this?

da_jonesy
Feb 10th, 2006, 04:26 PM
are you going to press with this?

yes... why do you ask? what did I miss?

TroutMaskReplica
Feb 11th, 2006, 03:20 AM
i was just going to note the suggestion to rasterize would destroy any ability to trap the file.

TroutMaskReplica
Feb 11th, 2006, 03:21 AM
i was just going to note the suggestion to rasterize would destroy any ability to trap the file.

TroutMaskReplica
Feb 11th, 2006, 03:21 AM
quadruple post! holy crap!

JAMG
Feb 12th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I don't suggest this lightly, but Illustrator can usually open PDFs as vector files.

I used to do this regularly when the twits I worked for insisted to clients that they had a "PDF workflow" when in reality they had me and Acrobat.

Now they just have Acrobat...

I found to trap effectively in Illustrator I had to simplify and dumb down the element. Expect Type to break into bit of characters and rules to become separate from thier files.

But if you know illustrator, you can get something workable...

phobic
Feb 12th, 2006, 09:43 PM
The way I always used to do this was export the PDF to EPS files, and then place the EPS files as images in Quark with scaling applied.
It's not the quickest method, but it gets round the trapping/overprint issue, and the as yet unmentioned font embedding problems.

Roger
Feb 13th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Or, if you have some money to spend and some patience, check out Enfocus Pitstop Professional (www.enfocus.com if I remember correctly). If allows you to make changes to PDFs, including scaling. It is (very) expensive, but a 30 day demo works. It also re-certifies documents if you are working to PDF-X standards.