: Airport Xpress :: Signal Strength

Ohenri
Feb 8th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Uhhh...

Is it me or is the signal on the a/p x a little weak?? Trying to get my roomie to ride this wave, but the signal is too weak for her to connect. Is there any way that it can be boosted?? No antenna though... The main issue is that not only is she on the other end of the apt, she's on a floor below... :( Not the best scenario.

H!

HowEver
Feb 8th, 2006, 11:48 PM
It is possible to get great reception and speed through some twisted architecture a floor and several rooms away, and with original Airport cards in G3 iMacs, so... I think you should reset your Airport Express. Or perhaps try another channel, your choice of 11 available. You may have some interference. Also you could use "Interference Robustness" on the receiving end.

Also, make sure it's your signal she's latching onto. I've seen some people set up and wonder why their signal was so weak, only they were actually surfing on someone else's dime.

pochien
Feb 9th, 2006, 12:17 AM
maybe you want to update the latest firmware!!

please refer to www.apple.com

gwillikers
Feb 9th, 2006, 05:53 AM
I got myself one of those Griffin AirBase stands...

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/xpressstand/index.php

In any event, try and get the Express up high in the room, rather than in a wall outlet.

Vexel
Feb 9th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Another thing to note. 802.11G wireless is a much weaker signal than 802.11B. One thing you might try.. is setting the Airport Express to Wireless B mode rather than G or B/G.

You won't notice any internet slowdown at all.. the only thing you'll notice a slow down on is any kind of network you have set up at your place. It's worth the shot if you really need to solve your range issue.

To change this setting.. open up Airport Admin Utility and under the "Airport" Tab (first one), down in the bottom left you'll see "Mode." You can choose what you want the express to broadcast from there. :)

Good luck :)

Z06jerry
Feb 9th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Uhhh...

Is it me or is the signal on the a/p x a little weak?? Trying to get my roomie to ride this wave, but the signal is too weak for her to connect. Is there any way that it can be boosted?? No antenna though... The main issue is that not only is she on the other end of the apt, she's on a floor below... :( Not the best scenario.

H!
The signal strength is definately weak. I use a 2nd Airport Express in "relay" mode to extend the range.

HowEver
Feb 9th, 2006, 02:58 PM
How about using a wireless extender... I'll have an ad in the General or Accessories category shortly.

It's a Netgear device that plugs into your wall socket, with a line in from the router. Another device plugs in, in that room where you want the wireless to reach, and broadcasts there. Voila! Perfectly extended and wireless.