: mini + firewire raid Querry

Zipper
Feb 8th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Ok so Im interested in a Mini but the question was drive speed. There seems to be an issue with drive speed.

Would an external firewire case with 2 identical (decent) drives in it, configured with Apples own sofware raid be a solution? This should no doubt double or tripple my drive speed?

Would this external firewire drive be bootable or is that an issue of which Oxford chipset is present on the external case?

Chris

MacDoc
Feb 8th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Your bottleneck is and always will be the FW400 bus so you are chasing rainbows.
More RAM is best - some like the external 400 so at least you are maxxed tho that's only in the 37 megs per second range sustained.
Save up - get an Intel iMAc - zoom zoom.

But a Firewire backup is an excellent idea.

Zipper
Feb 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the input on the question.

I understand the FW 400 observation

I also was looking for a cheep 2nd (In truth 13th) mac so the Mini still may be a contender.

As for the MacIntel boxes... I am very anxious to see what this year has to offer as far as performance and pricing. It is turning out to be a interesting Mac year.

As allways great to have your MacDoc input.

Thanks

Chris

zarquon
Feb 8th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Software RAID, especially an OS driven one, is always a poor solution when compared to a hardware one. Considering the mini's processor and bus speed I wouldn't waste my time with it. Better off getting an external RAID box with FW interface - yes it's bootable. What are you doing that requires this level of disc speed?

Z.

MacDoc
Feb 8th, 2006, 11:07 PM
And it won't do a damn thing for the speed.
Hardware RAIDs merely offer better buffering - nothing more tho that is significant where the bandwidth is sufficient to allow it.
It will not solve the bus speed issue.

zarquon
Feb 9th, 2006, 08:55 AM
And it won't do a damn thing for the speed.
Hardware RAIDs merely offer better buffering - nothing more tho that is significant where the bandwidth is sufficient to allow it.
It will not solve the bus speed issue.

I would think that depends on what else you are asking the processor to do. On a mini, with lower ( main ) bus speed, and low end processor - adding hardware RAID management to the mix is going to slow the machine down in processor intensive apps. Even working in iMovie, the HW RAID would probably be slower than a single external FW.

I haven't tried this on a mini, but on other computers in the past it was a waste of time. The FW bus speed is what it is, but it's not going to change when the cpu is working really hard.

Z.

Zipper
Feb 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the input.

After carefull consideration I feel my efforts may best be aimed at a low end G5 in the used market. It would far better serve may more options and future expandability.

Chris

Thanks