Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Anacron vs OnyX : Is one better than the other?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mguertin 
#1 ·
Or are they both worth having for maintenance purposes?

#2 ·
Applejack 1.4.2

My vote is for AppleJack 1.4.2

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19596

AppleJack is a tool to make it easy to troubleshoot your Mac when no other startup disk is available to you. The script gives you an interactive menu-driven environment for basic disk check/repair, permissions repair, .plist validation, cache cleanup, and swap file removal. You can do basic system maintenance even if your GUI won't start up at all, simply by booting into single user mode, and typing 'applejack'.
But back to your question:
I did not like Anacron, with its menu item thing. Never seemed to complete its job. May people swear by Onyx and I suggest it to many. But the old adage of not working on an engine while it is running goes for both of these programs, how can you do maintenance on a machine when it is running and using the resources that you are fixing?
Even Apple says you should start from your install CD/DVD to run Disk Utility - Repair Disk and Repair Permissions.

Therefore Applejack is your answer, it loads before any needed resources or GUI comes into play. And when it does need some resources it only loads what it needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.