: I See The Light ! ! ! ( Tiger )

speckledmind
Jan 24th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I See The Light
( Thinking of the Blues Brother Movie )

I am reborn !

Praise the lord ! ! !
( I'm not even religious, but what the heck )

Letís all stand up and sing a song of JOY ! ! !
( Chanting out loud of course )

Alleluia !!!! ! ! ! ! !
( And dancing all over the house )

OK, enough with the nonsense already.
I know ! I'm a late arrival ( to say the least ), but I no longer jump when new things come out, I wait for upgrades and feedback from others who have tested it, I hate computer pain.

I installed Tiger ( 10.4.4 ) last night, He Ha ! was it ever worth it ! ! ! and i feel like a kid in the parc with a new toy.
I played with it until the wee hours of the night, to test all my softwar of course, the widgets and spotlight.
Widgets = interesting and fun ( I want more )
Spotlight = WOW, I can now find things i did not even know I still had, and sooooo fast.

I am happy to report that I have an increase in speed ( no kidding ), all my software are in good health and there is no need for upgrade, for the exception of NAV Auto protect, WOW, thatís a relief for a change after a major upgrade of the OS.

I still need to get the latest upgrades of doodads ( free ) software, compatible with Tiger, but itís no pain to me.

Here are my main Software ;
QuarkXpress 6.1
Photoshop CS
Illustrator CS
Dreamweaver MX
Office 2004
Apple Works 6 ( for quick text )
and a few bells and whistles
NAV 9 ( because I get Word files from Windows )
TechTool Pro 4
and so on...

SO ! that being said, if any of you wanted to know before hand what the impact would be, look at my hardware in my signature, ask me specifics, and i will let you know on this thread.

Regards,
Denis

PS : Google Widget :eek: , WOW fast ! fast ! fast ! :D

elmer
Jan 24th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Any speed increase in Photoshop?

20DDan
Jan 24th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Nice glad to see you've noticed a performance boost! My older powerbook 500mhz seems to run the same even with the update. I also have what I think to be a hardware problem in that the programs crash randomly... I've been told it may be a RAM problem but I've changed both 512mb sticks already and same thing... Oh well... Until I get an upgraded PowerBook I'll live with this... Love the new apple widgets! Sweet!

speckledmind
Jan 24th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Any speed increase in Photoshop?
Not yet.
I have not had the opportunity to put it through it's pace yet, you know, the heavy stuff.

Denis

MACSPECTRUM
Jan 24th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Nice glad to see you've noticed a performance boost! My older powerbook 500mhz seems to run the same even with the update. I also have what I think to be a hardware problem in that the programs crash randomly... I've been told it may be a RAM problem but I've changed both 512mb sticks already and same thing... Oh well... Until I get an upgraded PowerBook I'll live with this... Love the new apple widgets! Sweet!

for anyone running a mac book try Tiger Cache Cleaner and create a RAM disk (about 1/4 of physical ram is usually enough) and get real speed bumps in mail and safari

singingcrow
Jan 24th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the other side.;)

CN
Jan 24th, 2006, 09:37 PM
I just got Tiger as well (SameDay wandered around this afternoon :D)! So far I'm loving it...widgets are awesome, and the RSS Screensaver is pretty cool, Spotlight is neato too :lmao:. Bit of a speed bump, definitely a nice upgrade for me.