: Best OS for VPC

Apple101
Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:55 PM
Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding VPC 7. What operating system would be best Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP? And why?

AlephNull
Jan 22nd, 2006, 06:26 PM
I'd go with Win2k myself, just because it has almost all of the features of Windows XP, but lacks all of the flashy additions that tends to really slow down VPC on my mac mini. Then again if you're running a Quad or something, my answer might be different :P. And Win2k is generally cheaper too, especially off of eBay or a similar source.

Apple101
Jan 22nd, 2006, 06:31 PM
I'd go with Win2k myself, just because it has almost all of the features of Windows XP, but lacks all of the flashy additions that tends to really slow down VPC on my mac mini. Then again if you're running a Quad or something, my answer might be different :P. And Win2k is generally cheaper too, especially off of eBay or a similar source.
Hey thanks for responding! Currently I am using an eMac 1.42GHz model with 1GB of RAM. Next year however depending how everything goes with the Intel Macs I will purchase one of their laptops, as I will need one for college. So with the eMac specs in mind would you still recommend Windows 2000 Professional?

barthrh
Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:29 PM
I use Win2k. If you need just light duty, easy on the CPU and only minor functionality (the token app, like IE or some PC thing) then 98 is a decent pick. But if you want stable, definitely 2k. XP is too fat and offers nothing to make up for it.