: Mac Mini is in the shop for memory upgrade

BobbyFett
Jan 19th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Running a 1.42Ghz, going from 512 to 1GB... am i gonna notice the difference?

johnnydee
Jan 19th, 2006, 02:51 PM
In the pocket book!

John

moonsocket
Jan 19th, 2006, 02:56 PM
You will notice!!!

BobbyFett
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:25 PM
You will notice!!!

Where, in snappiness? multitasking (say, being able to surf properly when encoding videos or whatever)?

TCB
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:29 PM
mostly you'll notice when you have a few apps running and it won't slow down as quickly as it would when you had 512...maybe a little difference in apps launching etc....but worth the upgrade IMO

ender78
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Running a 1.42Ghz, going from 512 to 1GB... am i gonna notice the difference?

I made the switch a few weeks ago. Memory heavy apps are much faster. General system responsiveness is much better.

jonmon
Jan 19th, 2006, 06:12 PM
In the pocket book!

John

lol that too
yes you will notice your hard drive is not being accessed like crazy

BobbyFett
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:05 PM
so i have it up and running... i am still noticing hard drive speed differences from my work mac (admittedly, a G5 DP) when, say, accessing the utilities folder (which, for me always seems to take a second), but I notice Safari doesn't begin to crawl so soon with multiple tabs open and stuff like that...

Great!

As an aside, are there any programs out there that detect just what kind of ram you have installed? like to test latency or whatever?

Macaholic
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:14 PM
It'll help indeed. Booting off of a Firewire drive would increase performance as well.

Have you seen this thread?

https://www.ehmac.ca/showthread.php?t=35643

BobbyFett
Jan 19th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Yes I've seen that thread. I already have an external FW (an older Lacie D2 enclosure). I don't boot off it though, but am thinking I might clone my internal drive onto the external. Do you know of any non-destructive partitioning software?

tedj
Jan 19th, 2006, 11:11 PM
wadda ya mean, help? You mean, help watch all five seasons of the Sopranos in a week when you are sick with a cold and the flu, with safari and mail and quicktime and msn on all at once?

Yes, a gig of memory will certainly help. But don't take my word for it!

Z06jerry
Jan 21st, 2006, 08:24 AM
After installing 1G, I observed an unexpected benifit - the cooling fan doesn't cycle as often as it used to with the original 512m.

Macaholic
Jan 21st, 2006, 10:44 AM
After installing 1G, I observed an unexpected benifit - the cooling fan doesn't cycle as often as it used to with the original 512m.

GREAT point! Of course, with the System having to use virtual memory more often, the drive will be hit more often, the temeprature will rise and BOOM: fan noise. Not using a laptop at all for YEARS, this obvious downside didn't dawn on me.