: More Apple stores coming to Canada!!!

kkapoor
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Hey everyone, long time lurker, 1st time poster.

I decided to listen to the latest finaincial webcast from Apple in which Peter Oppenheimer (CFO) specifically states that they will be opening more stores in Canada, U.K. & Japan in 2006. That is the order he mentioned new store openings in. Let the speculation begin!!

Mrsam
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Yay!! I'm waiting for a store in the eaton's center so I don't have to go all the way to yorkdale!

DBerG
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Montréal, Québec, Three-Rivers (Trois-Rivières), VICTORIAVILLE!!!!!!!!!

NewGuy
Jan 19th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Does anyone have mac usage stats for Canada? Ideally broken down by Province, or City. That might help us guess the next locations...

Makr
Jan 19th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Vancouver is a must and probably one in calgary or edmonton.

Johnny Melano
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:41 AM
Now that bmac is closed here in Montreal, maybe they'll open an Apple store? I know Microserv is making a killing!

Jon

MannyP Design
Jan 19th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Ottawa... Ottawa... Ottawa... Ottawa...

I can dream, right? ;)

Ottawaman
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Ottawa... Ottawa... Ottawa... Ottawa...

I can dream, right? ;)

I share your dream.

CN
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:25 AM
I share your dream.

Me too! :D

mycatsnameis
Jan 19th, 2006, 09:30 AM
LOL, what if it's only the Eaton Centre Store??

Let the griping begin!!!:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

okcomputer
Jan 19th, 2006, 09:53 AM
C'monn Halifax.

Haha.

Riiight.

UnleashedLive
Jan 19th, 2006, 10:04 AM
I share your dream.

As do I.

It's not all bad, we've got an Apple dealer on campus :D

focal
Jan 19th, 2006, 10:19 AM
most likely Eaton's first since the job postings are already up on apple.ca

next most likely would be Robson St. in Vancouver. HUGE traffic on that street.

stand_1998
Jan 19th, 2006, 10:35 AM
<crosses fingers>C'mon Pen Centre in St. Catharines, ON</crosses fingers>

wing
Jan 19th, 2006, 11:45 AM
With all the high tech in Ottawa, we need one!

Ottawaman
Jan 19th, 2006, 11:49 AM
With me in Ottawa we need one :D

kkapoor
Jan 19th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Yup, it looks like it is Eaton Centre. Check out:

http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/jobs/

It's on the front page.

krs
Jan 19th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Now that bmac is closed here in Montreal, maybe they'll open an Apple store? I know Microserv is making a killing!

Jon

Do you ever go to Camelot in Place Ville Marie? They have a pretty good selection and tons of Mac-usable PC stuff as well.

webwiz23
Jan 19th, 2006, 12:34 PM
With all the high tech in Ottawa, we need one!

Ottawa deserves one, we are so far away from any good mac store at all. nearest one is the mac group who overcharge, and selection is low!

macguy.nielsen
Jan 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM
There needs to be one in Vancouver Area (There are a crap load of people here that use Apples) and also Edmonton/Calgary (most likely not both but either or).

webwiz23
Jan 19th, 2006, 12:45 PM
There needs to be one in Vancouver Area (There are a crap load of people here that use Apples) and also Edmonton/Calgary (most likely not both but either or).

Vancouver does have a lot of mac users and the mac store would do very well but you guys have tones of mac stores out there! For ex: The Mac Station

dona83
Jan 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM

We also have a crapload of stores to go to, MacStation (they've just opened a new locale in Abbotsford), Westworld, Simply Computing, Discount Mac Club. Not to mention UBC and SFU Bookstores for students, and major retailers like Best Buy, London Drugs, Compusmart. I buy most of my Mac stuff from MacStation but my only gripe about all these retailers is the time it takes from when Steve Jobs debuts these products to actually get them, so an Apple Store would be great for getting those must have new items right away, attracting even more new Mac users (the sex appeal of Apple stores), and the Genius Bar. Otherwise I'll still be a regular at MacStation.

Kosh
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I would think Montreal and Vancouver, but secretly hope Ottawa...

coreLlama
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I totally agree. Ottawa needs a good dedicated Mac store. How many times have you been asked “where do I take my Mac to get repaired”? or “where can I get software”

MannyP Design
Jan 19th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I totally agree. Ottawa needs a good dedicated Mac store. How many times have you been asked “where do I take my Mac to get repaired”? or “where can I get software”

I often hear myself ask that question... and then I go huddle in the corner and cry myself to sleep.

Or not. :D

coreLlama
Jan 19th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I often hear myself ask that question... and then I go huddle in the corner and cry myself to sleep.

Or not. :D

ha ha :rolleyes: ... so true

kent
Jan 19th, 2006, 04:34 PM

What he said PLUS Vancouver is Canada's third largest city and its inhabitants seem to have unlimited financial resources and a penchant for spending ...

As for the comment about Halifax [somewhere above] getting a store ... yes it is a long stretch [very long], but for a city approaching 400K they could use one of those pocket stores. I went into a couple of Apple resellers at Christmas [in Halifax] and if you wanted to buy a Mac you may as well do it online both places had virtually no stock ... none

dona83
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:31 PM
What he said PLUS Vancouver is Canada's third largest city and its inhabitants seem to have unlimited financial resources and a penchant for spending ...

Agreed, gas prices hit $1.18 for regular and $1.30 for premium last summer and people were still driving their Hummers and Bimmers like no tomorrow, unlike 1970 when everyone seemed to have abandoned their big cars for way smaller ones, not to mention that people can fork out $800,000 to buy houses that although are average size by Canadian standards barely fit on the lot (a smart purchase tho). Unfortunately I'm not one of these people. :( But I have my rollerblades and camping gear and bicycle and snowboard and inflatable boat with a little 2HP motor and my goalie gear and as long as I can enjoy the great outdoors or the great ice rink I'm fine. But my Mac does help me capture it all. :) Although it would be very smart for me to invest in property ASAP just so I can get ahead.

Repeater04
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:44 PM

Jon
Me three!! We'll get a job for Martin there:clap: Maybe he can get us some deals.:confused:

Johnny Melano
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Do you ever go to Camelot in Place Ville Marie? They have a pretty good selection and tons of Mac-usable PC stuff as well.

Never been? It's a Mac place or just an all around place? As long as they can order Academic products, I'm in!

Jon

Johnny Melano
Jan 19th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Haha, Martin...

We'll probably see one coming soon, although MicroServ is a GREAT place to buy Apple products. When I got my PowerBook stolen a couple months ago, they billed me a new one up that insurance covered and had problems. They changed the charger twice, the battery, then my sales rep just took it (the day after MacBook Pro was announced,) said it was deffective, gave me a demo to use for now and ordered me a MacBook Pro (or put me on a waiting list, or whatever.)

I doubt the Apple Store would've done though, heh.

Jon

kent
Jan 19th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Agreed, gas prices hit $1.18 for regular and $1.30 for premium last summer and people were still driving their Hummers and Bimmers like no tomorrow, unlike 1970 when everyone seemed to have abandoned their big cars for way smaller ones, not to mention that people can fork out $800,000 to buy houses that although are average size by Canadian standards barely fit on the lot (a smart purchase tho). Unfortunately I'm not one of these people. :( But I have my rollerblades and camping gear and bicycle and snowboard and inflatable boat with a little 2HP motor and my goalie gear and as long as I can enjoy the great outdoors or the great ice rink I'm fine. But my Mac does help me capture it all. :) Although it would be very smart for me to invest in property ASAP just so I can get ahead.

LOL!

I rent a basement suite in Vancouver in a nothing-special house that's assessed at $1.9 Million ... if it wasn't for the basement suite renters no one could afford their mortgages. Not exactly an easy market to jump into ... as much as I love Van, I'm out of here upon finishing my Masters degree ... who can afford 2 Million [or would want to pay] for a 2000 sq ft. house on a 40 foot wide lot with no view or water access. In Nova Scotia you could buy a house in the city on the ocean, a cottage, a 35' sailboat, and an xserve cluster for 2 million. Sometimes it seems like everyone here has a million dollar home and $200K car - who are these people? ... and there's not shortage of them either.

Anyway ... back to the apple stores .... dona83 got me going!

trump
Jan 19th, 2006, 09:16 PM
why does Canada need more stores when Toronto has two?

(hehe, its fun to play with westerners hatred of toronto :D)

DEWLine
Jan 19th, 2006, 11:27 PM
It ain't just Westerners who get annoyed by that remark. :-/

JCCanuck
Jan 19th, 2006, 11:33 PM
maybe they'll peeve everyone off and open ANOTHER Apple store in Yorkdale at the other end.

kent
Jan 20th, 2006, 12:16 AM
It ain't just Westerners who get annoyed by that remark. :-/

or people from Eastern Canada either ...

trump
Jan 20th, 2006, 07:56 AM
gah it was a joke...I grew up in Vancouver so i remember a lot of the hostility towards the east

moonsocket
Jan 20th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I think they should open one in Fredericton. :)

mycatsnameis
Jan 20th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I'm tellin' ya, it'll just be the Eaton Centre Store this year and then this thread will turn into another nasty Apple gripe-thread. Apple Canada moves _s_l_o_w_l_y_.

SoyMac
Jan 20th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Montréal, Québec, Three-Rivers (Trois-Rivières), VICTORIAVILLE!!!!!!!!!
DBerG's right.
My cousin's ex-girlfriend's sister works for Apple Marketing, and we heard that Victoriaville will see the next Apple Store, follwed by Smiths Falls.

Strimkind
Jan 20th, 2006, 01:34 PM
We need one in Victoria!

jicon
Jan 20th, 2006, 02:02 PM
We need one in Victoria!
No we don't. We have more than enough Mac shops.

The day the Apple Store comes to town is the day most Mac businesses disappear. I'd only imagine London Drugs could compete against Apple's pricing.

Johnny Melano
Jan 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
With bigger cities like Montreal and Quebec city and Ottawa not having one? I don't see it..

I don't see why they would put one in Toronto, other then the fact that Toronto will suck the nuts of any American business for them to move in to their city.

Meh,

Jon

trump
Jan 21st, 2006, 01:00 AM
With bigger cities like Montreal and Quebec city and Ottawa not having one? I don't see it..

I don't see why they would put one in Toronto, other then the fact that Toronto will suck the nuts of any American business for them to move in to their city.

Meh,

Jon

maybe it's the 6 million people within the GTA? Besides, we get a lot of the Canadian companies too...Bank of Montreal for example ;)

kkapoor
Jan 21st, 2006, 02:15 AM

Meh,

Jon

Perhaps its because, the Toronto area represents the largest consumer base in the country or perhaps because 1/5th of the population of Canada lives in the GTA and surrounding areas.

gmark2000
Jan 21st, 2006, 02:45 AM
I'd only imagine London Drugs could compete against Apple's pricing.
Apple doesn't undercut its own MSRP pricing (except on education sales but they're on all campuses anyway). The Apple Store is a consumer retail store. There's no corporate sales force from the retail location that is undercutting for large enterprise accounts. A reseller can certainly compete on price and they have the advantage of having the more lucrative service business (since Apple Stores don't fix product on-site.)

The only deleterious advantages of Apple Stores are getting stock before resellers and deep discounting of 'discountinued' product (of which they don't have much stock of when the supply chains are dried-up in advance of new product).

mgl
Jan 21st, 2006, 08:52 AM
There hasn't been any info on the Eaton Centre store in a while and the jobs have long since been posted. Now that the holiday shopping rush is over, I'd expect to see construction soon.

I noticed Hollister just opened in the mall this week, using up the last lower concourse opening. There is still space on the top level across from Grand & Toy. Unless another retail is about to vacate a spot, that seems like the most likely location. Has anybody heard any news?