: Bluetooth Phone Connections

mazirion
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I have a Nokia 6620, an iBook (summer 2005 14-inch) and a Palm T|X. I thought I'd be able to use my phone to dial up my ISP to go online.

So far I haven't been able to figure it out. Is this phone crippled in some way? Whenever I have tried dialing from my T|X, the phone receives 'D'. Which means the connection fails.

I do notice though that the T|X does not list the 6620 in its Nokia phone list. I bought it earlier last year wanting bluetooth connectivity. So far it seems to be a no go, although I must say that Bluetooth hot sync'ing is great!

Pete

harrytse
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:33 PM
it won't dial to your ISP because there is no support for circuit switched data available. If you want to connect to the Internet, you'd need a packet-based GPRS data option from your mobile service provider.

HowEver
Jan 6th, 2006, 09:36 PM
If this did work, the cost would be prohibitive. fido used to offer an unlimited data plan for $50 per month, but I don't think you can get it anymore.

Without such a plan, you'd be paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars for surfing the web through your phone's data plan. Cell phone companies used to offer circuit switched data, but no longer. It cost too much.

You can surf the web easily on your 6620 but take care to already have a data plan, and to go easy on it the first month until you know what data you'll use. Your 6620 will let you track this. A $12 data plan on Rogers, for instance, gets you 3MB of data transfer (to and from the internet) each month. That's not a typo: 3 megabytes. Cell phones use web browsers that are optimized for cell use: get Netfront, or Opera (cell version). And track your usage.

If all you want to do is check email, get a gmail account and programme your 6620 to take advantage of it; you need also to go into your gmail and change your settings there. If it's a Rogers 6620, your settings already allow for the email client in the phone to work.

You can however do this the other way around: you can surf the web using a cable or DSL connection at home, for example, on the _phone_ connecting to your computer via bluetooth; I haven't quite got the hang of this one, but it's possible.

If you're on Rogers (a 6620 is half wasted on fido, and it doesn't work on Bellus), here's the bible for phone settings for your exact model; remember that if you bought your 6620 from Rogers, the settings are mostly if not all already in place:
Nokia 6620/Series 60 WAP settings (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=479307)

Since you're officially a phone geek now, you might have better luck than I had in finding the thread about connecting to the internet via bluetooth on the phone using your cable or DSL connection, in this subforum:
Series60.HowardForums.com (http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)

mazirion
Jan 7th, 2006, 04:39 PM
I thought that I'd be able to just make a call to my dial-up ISP.

I have surfed the net with the phone, but the screen is too small to be of much use. Which is why I am trying to connect through my T|X or iBook. Haven't tried iBook yet - starting with T|X then move on.

I have wi-fi on both - but no open wi-fi access points are available. The only one I've found is at Starbucks, which lets you surf for $7.50 an hour! I figured with my bluetooth phone, I could do it on the cheap on my own, when I am away from home. I did have a web plan, but it goes over fast. I'm not paying their rates for surfing.

Trying to connect from home is pointless, since I just dial-up on the iBook.

The phone is from Rogers, but all I get when I start talking geek is a blank look. I'll ask online, but by the looks of it, I may as well forget it. Surf paying their rates on the phone or forget it. This phone is such a waste. My brother bought the Treo 650 - which is what I wish I took instead of this Nokia 6620!

I noted on the WAP link you gave that people still looking for free ringtones & background pictures. I make my own!

Thanks for the replies!

Pete

HowEver
Jan 7th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Meh.

Dismissing the 6620 so quickly without having tried the uses god intended for it--pshaw!

Read this thread, try it out for a while, and *then* let us know how you feel:
Nokia 6620 Users: Welcome to Symbia! (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=580948)

Your phone does MSN Messenger as well as your computer (Agile Messenger, which is free), it stores and transfers large files quickly using bluetooth, it's an mp3 player (unlike the ROKR there are not stupid 100 song limitations, and unlike the v6xxx series, you can use any bitrate mp3, not just 192+), there are 2GB Multimedia Cards that work in the 6620, it's a video and camera phone, it does surf economically using Netfront or Opera when optimized and used sparingly, it's a television for godsake if it's Toronto Blue Jays games you want, or Sportsnet, or the news, or a half dozen other channels (extra monthly fee, though), it's an email client (use the $3 plan and gmail and you'll never go over your $3 per month), it's a television remote using iRDA, it plays hacked n-gage games, you can watch full-length movies or tv shows depending on the size of your MMC and your patience for watching a small screen (but larger than most other such phones).... 65K colour TFT screen.

and so on. Hmm, what else? I use full mp3s as ringtones, so *any* song I want to hear when someone calls me, although right now it's Homer Simpson singing "I dance, I dance, I dance, around the Mexican hat/I dance, I dance, I dance, and that's the end of that/Or is it I guess I'll keep singing/My cell phone appears to be ringing." There is Salling Clicker, so the phone becomes a Mac remote. And then there is iSync, one-click bluetooth backup of all contacts, calendars, notes, etc.

While it's true that you can't surf using CSD anymore, that $7.50 an hour in Starbucks isn't that bad. But how much effort does it take to find a coffee shop near free wireless--even in Belleville?