: Is this site real

kevkwas
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:26 PM
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/track;jsessionid=KQP3BBX31OKSUCRAZRYEOSQKEDGHCQ2K? catId=400145&emt=emt&track=track&default=default&imageRoot

Thanks

monokitty
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Yes. Should it not be?

krs
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Same question here - why do you think it isn't?
Looks to me like the official site of the UK mail service.

enaj
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:32 PM
It is real but I have seen it used in a internet scam before.
The person sends you a royal mail number to show that it has been shipped but it is not for you.

I think the scammer (Andrew Carter) was using this.

What's up?

CanadaRAM
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:33 PM
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/track;jsessionid=KQP3BBX31OKSUCRAZRYEOSQKEDGHCQ2K? catId=400145&emt=emt&track=track&default=default&imageRoot
Thanks
The more important question is: why are you asking?

Royal Mail is the post office in the UK -- however some online scammers have fraudulently used Royalmail.com the same way as westernunion.com, as a 'blind', claiming that when you send your money to them, and somehow royalmail.com provides assurance that you will get your goods and the seller will only get the money when the goods have been delivered -- or some variation on the above.

enaj
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Hey
I was speaking with a member on ehmac a few months back who was scammed by this method. Here is the e-mail he sent to me to ask my opinion. I said SCAM!!!

Well, I am selling my I**d and ***** to him, and he is supposed to be paying through USPS money order. And I was told by someone else that money orders come from [email protected] instead my notification came from [email protected], which originally tipped me off. The address he gave me is as follows:
213 Ritter Place
Berryville, VA 22611
USA
but after doing a quick lookup I came up with this: http://www.whitepages.com/5092/searc...le&state_id=VA
I asked him if I was ok if I shipped after receiving payment and that I was worried about being scammed(I also sent him the information I just gave you)
He responded with this:
Good day,
I really understand what you saying, but none of us will like to be scammed that is why i have decided to make USPS as an intermediary. So just be cool and by the Grace of God all will be alright and none of us shall regret this transaction.
Mail me back when you drop off this package.ok
Best regards,
Shaw
He plans on having the package picked up at my house and I was wondering if he is paying for the shipping if it was possible to cancel the shipment if I dont receive my money.(if I decide to go through with it) I am unsure if the address he gave me is legit or not though as he said he is shipping it to his son.
I have also recieved an email from Royal Mail, it is as follows:
Good day,
We hereby inform you that the payment received from our client towards the payment of the product bought from you will be updated as soon as we receive the tracking number of the good(s).

RI475968006GB

you can check there to confirm the delivery of the money by shipment courier service
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/t...equestid=43306
However I doubt the validity of this message as it was delivered from [email protected]

rubeole
Jan 5th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Good day,
I really understand what you saying, but none of us will like to be scammed that is why i have decided to make USPS as an intermediary. So just be cool and by the Grace of God all will be alright and none of us shall regret this transaction.
Best regards,
Shaw

Good day,
We hereby inform you that the payment received from our client towards the payment of the product bought from you will be updated as soon as we receive the tracking number of the good(s).

That couldn't possibly be a scam.

kevkwas
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Hey
I was speaking with a member on ehmac a few months back who was scammed by this method. Here is the e-mail he sent to me to ask my opinion. I said SCAM!!!

Well, I am selling my I**d and ***** to him, and he is supposed to be paying through USPS money order. And I was told by someone else that money orders come from [email protected] instead my notification came from [email protected], which originally tipped me off. The address he gave me is as follows:
213 Ritter Place
Berryville, VA 22611
USA
but after doing a quick lookup I came up with this: http://www.whitepages.com/5092/searc...le&state_id=VA
I asked him if I was ok if I shipped after receiving payment and that I was worried about being scammed(I also sent him the information I just gave you)
He responded with this:
Good day,
Best regards,
Shaw
He plans on having the package picked up at my house and I was wondering if he is paying for the shipping if it was possible to cancel the shipment if I dont receive my money.(if I decide to go through with it) I am unsure if the address he gave me is legit or not though as he said he is shipping it to his son.
I have also recieved an email from Royal Mail, it is as follows:
Good day,

RI475968006GB

you can check there to confirm the delivery of the money by shipment courier service
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/t...equestid=43306
However I doubt the validity of this message as it was delivered from [email protected]
Mine is the same as yours, they give a tracking number and when i go there it says
Your item with reference RI650442872GB has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery.
The address I'm suppose to send to is a USA address

kevkwas
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Dear ,

United States Postal Service has received your email address from ****** to inform you of the order to have a $250.00 Western Union® branded Postal OrderSM sent to you for the following item has been processed and approved:

Auction Item : CAMERA
Auction Site : Yahoo Classifieds

Please verify that the following address (as entered by the buyer) is correct.

Name :
Address :
City :
State :
Zip code :
Coubtry :

If there is a mistake in your address,feel free to contact us via this E-mail ( [email protected]). Payment Delivery Method:Upon approval,a money order delivered via First Class Royal® Mail will be received in approximately 3-5 business days.Due to the fact that most sellers don't send item after payment has been made on their auction,we have made a policy that sellers must ship out items within 48 hours of payment notification and send us the tracking number for verification.

Here is the tracking number for your payment

Money Order Tracking Number :

RI650442872GB

Click on the link below to confirm the delivery of your money order by the shipment courier service :

This is the sample of the postal money order that will be deliver to you through our Royal Mail Courier Services after we might have received the shipment tracking number from you regarding the merchandise.

Thank you for using United States Postal Service. We look forward serving your online auction payment needs in the future.

Sincerely,
Postal Money Order™.

enaj
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Hey
This wasn't personally mine, but I do believe this is a scam. Why would someone in the USA use a British payment system? Doesn't make sense.

I would stay clear of it if I was you.

Was it a deal too good to be true, eh?;)

BTW - what is the address of where this e-mail came from?

CanadaRAM
Jan 5th, 2006, 02:36 PM
$#&^@$%^ scammer

Report them to the ISP in the header of the email, [email protected] (RCMP mail/telefraud centre) and to eBay or Yahoo if it was an auction transaction.

Big tip off, folks: Neither the USPS no Royal Mail are in the business of doing escrow transactions on purchases. There simply IS NO mechanism where the post office verifies shipping and payment and enforces honesty.

kevkwas
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Hey
This wasn't personally mine, but I do believe this is a scam. Why would someone in the USA use a British payment system? Doesn't make sense.

I would stay clear of it if I was you.

Was it a deal too good to be true, eh?;)

BTW - what is the address of where this e-mail came from?
How do you know the address,, [email protected]

enaj
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM
I was wondering about the address from the USPS. But, listen to what CanadaRAM said and avoid this at all costs.

SCAM!!!!

Cameo
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Why would the signature be "postal money order" and not a real name and title if it was honest?

nxnw
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I'm also thinking that the Royal Mail would have a .uk domain, not .com.

quikkid
Jan 5th, 2006, 06:30 PM
That was me that enaj was referring to previously, for a final closure I emailed USPS, about the address that the notification email would be sent from and they told me that they do NOT send you a confirmation email.

krs
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Due to the fact that most sellers don't send item after payment has been made on their auction,we have made a policy that sellers must ship out items within 48 hours of payment notification and send us the tracking number for verification.

This is the statement that tipped me off that this was a scam.
Normal procedure on the net, including ebay, is that buyer sends payment - seller ships after payment is received.
Has been like this for the 1000 or so items I bought over the net the last five years. Only in one case did the seller ship the item before receiving payment, but that was because he was new at ebay and was eager to get a positive rating.

kevkwas
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
This is the statement that tipped me off that this was a scam.
Normal procedure on the net, including ebay, is that buyer sends payment - seller ships after payment is received.
Has been like this for the 1000 or so items I bought over the net the last five years. Only in one case did the seller ship the item before receiving payment, but that was because he was new at ebay and was eager to get a positive rating.
Here's what just got from them,

Thanks for contacting our customer service online,all you need to do is to send out the percell and send the shipments tracking numner to us for shipments verification,note that without sending out the percell we will not have the access to verify the shipping and these may cause delay on your money order.

So we look forward to have the shipments tracking number from you within 12 Hours.

Thanks

Regards

kevkwas
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Here's what just got from them,

Thanks for contacting our customer service online,all you need to do is to send out the percell and send the shipments tracking numner to us for shipments verification,note that without sending out the percell we will not have the access to verify the shipping and these may cause delay on your money order.

So we look forward to have the shipments tracking number from you within 12 Hours.

Thanks

Regards
Then the customer replied back,

Hello,
just drop off the package at fedex drop of location you dont need to pay any $$$$$$$,and after you have drop it off send the shipments tracking number they gave you to the bank that notify you about thye payments .
I await your responce soon.
Thanks
Regards

I told him its paypal or nothing.

apple=god
Jan 6th, 2006, 02:30 PM
110% sure it's a scammer. "anita" as she called hereself to me, used this website to sey up a fake tracking number. luckily i knew something was weird. between here horrid english (for a california resident) and her super fake USPS shipping notification email. YEAH RIGHT!!! USPS doesn't send emails to people. jesus, she/he was a dumb-ass scammer

HowEver
Jan 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM
http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com

Required reading for all. Yes, we've written about it before, but it's funny every time.

If you think the scammer will be sending you money after you have confirmed with a tracking number, there's a bridge I want to sell you...

Better yet, wrap up a camera-sized but heavy brick and let them pay for it to be shipped. Make sure you get the actual address from the shipper. Then enjoy the result. Be sure to document it for us, though. Sharing is good.

rondini
Jul 8th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Dead thread walking!

IllusionX
Jul 8th, 2014, 05:36 PM
I hate new users who join and provide a few links to some websites..

hexdiy
Jul 8th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Better give linga a warm welcome or at least the benefit of the doubt. In my experience, her message does not present a typical troll profile.
On top of that, her post and links seem like sound advice.
If linga really is a female new member: bear in mind one of today's threads: https://www.ehmac.ca/everything-else-eh/122449-women-stem-programming.htm
And besides, a clever early post in an old thread is often a stepping stone to a new member.
But who am I to comment on that, just a Flemish weirdo who likes to linger on Ehmac...

eMacMan
Jul 9th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Better give linga a warm welcome or at least the benefit of the doubt. In my experience, her message does not present a typical troll profile.
On top of that, her post and links seem like sound advice.
If linga really is a female new member: bear in mind one of today's threads: https://www.ehmac.ca/everything-else-eh/122449-women-stem-programming.htm
And besides, a clever early post in an old thread is often a stepping stone to a new member.
But who am I to comment on that, just a Flemish weirdo who likes to linger on Ehmac...

A lot of new users find an old thread via an online search, and simply do not notice the date. This really did not feel like a troll post to me.