: Advice sought on Little Snitch settings

jmlachance
Jan 2nd, 2006, 04:03 PM
In the preference menu, I have Firefox listed 3 times for different ports. Might be all the different versions of Firefox I've downloaded, not sure. Don't want to erase any of them until I'm sure what's what. I have the same with IE, Safari and Quicktime Player.
Any suggestions on the setting in preferences?
As far as ports go, any thing to watch out for, things to do/not do ?

I'm still using the demo model. Is it worth buying?

TrevX
Jan 2nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
In the preference menu, I have Firefox listed 3 times for different ports. Might be all the different versions of Firefox I've downloaded, not sure. Don't want to erase any of them until I'm sure what's what. I have the same with IE, Safari and Quicktime Player.
Any suggestions on the setting in preferences?
As far as ports go, any thing to watch out for, things to do/not do ?

I'm still using the demo model. Is it worth buying?
If any of the items shows up in RED then that means its a rule for an application that no longer exists, otherwise if the rule is in black type its a current rule. Its normal to have a few entries for the same application. Not sure why you'd block anything in Firefox, Safari, or Quicktime player, but whatever.

What I normally do is when an application launches for the first time and I KNOW I don't want it connecting to the net for anything, I set a rule right then and there to tell it to Deny any connection forever. Otherwise, I will pick and choose how the application can connect to the network. That is probably why you have multiple rules setup for the same application. Again, thats normal.

Trev

TimStalin
Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Not sure why you'd block anything in Firefox, Safari, or Quicktime player, but whatever.

I actually find it a simple way of blocking some of the more annoying flash adverts and applets in Safari. I allow everything through 80 and 443, but I get a chance to block stuff routed through the other ports. Other than FTP, the only prompts I get through Little Snitch are for things I almost certainly don't want anyway.

TrevX
Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:43 PM
I actually find it a simple way of blocking some of the more annoying flash adverts and applets in Safari. I allow everything through 80 and 443, but I get a chance to block stuff routed through the other ports. Other than FTP, the only prompts I get through Little Snitch are for things I almost certainly don't want anyway.
Doh, never thought of that. Good point. :)

Trev