: Migrating to a new iMac

Marvin
Jan 2nd, 2006, 02:09 PM
read this on the Apple website about migrating to a new Mac.
"Now, when itís time to make the ďbig move,Ē just connect the two Macs with a FireWire cable, then go to your new Mac and look inside the Applications folder, then go to the Utilities folder, where youíll find an application called Migration Assistant. Double-click on it and since itís an assistant, it will lead you through a series of screens with questions about what you want to do. (Donít worry, theyíre pretty simple questions; however, some of the most critical questions are entirely in French. Kidding.) Thatís it ó answer the questions and itíll make the move (including copying your settings for things like email, bookmarks and more)."

What can I do that is similar to this if the old iMac doesn't have firewire?

Pelao
Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
One of the options is to to "copy items from a partition on this drive", meaning the drive on the new Mac. If you select this option then you can copy your stuff from an external backup HD. Do you have such a drive for your existing Mac?

Marvin
Jan 2nd, 2006, 04:15 PM
It is a stock Bondi Blue iMac. Two USB ports but no firewire.

scootsandludes
Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
If your bondi is running OSX, then you can just plug in an ethernet cable to both macs, and it will transfer. If running OS9 or less, you'll need a crossover cable, it looks just like a ethernet cable and works like one, but it will allow the two macs to talk to each other without a hub.

Edit: Crossover cables are easily found at any computer store, just ask them for it, otherwise it's a lot digging trying to find one.

Next would be to burn a cd if you have an external burner.

If you have a external usb/FW drive, you could do a clone.

If you have time, you can go to Yorkdale and get one of the geniuses to transfer the files for you, I think it should be free if you're buying a system off them.

vince

John Calhoun
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:54 PM
If your bondi is running OSX, then you can just plug in an ethernet cable to both macs, and it will transfer. If running OS9 or less, you'll need a crossover cable, it looks just like a ethernet cable and works like one, but it will allow the two macs to talk to each other without a hub.

Edit: Crossover cables are easily found at any computer store, just ask them for it, otherwise it's a lot digging trying to find one.

Next would be to burn a cd if you have an external burner.

If you have a external usb/FW drive, you could do a clone.

If you have time, you can go to Yorkdale and get one of the geniuses to transfer the files for you, I think it should be free if you're buying a system off them.

vince

I thought crossover cables for MAC went out back in OS 7. Can't you use a straight Ethernet cable?

MacMaster
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:59 PM
I thought crossover cables for MAC went out back in OS 7. Can't you use a straight Ethernet cable?

I think you need to use some sort of router or hub with just a straight Ethernet cable.

The crossover cable works perfect - albeit much slower than firewire.

You should be able to buy a crossover cable for around $10-$20 dollars.

djstp
Mar 12th, 2006, 11:01 PM
I think you need to use some sort of router or hub with just a straight Ethernet cable.

The crossover cable works perfect - albeit much slower than firewire.

You should be able to buy a crossover cable for around $10-$20 dollars.

actually, i used a regular ethernet cable for my transfer...

and dont try getting a crossover cable from future shop or best buy... you are looking around 30 quid

Betty Woo
Oct 14th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Forgive me for sounding like I'm a complete idiot - today is Day 1 of "Full-Blown Fall Sinus Cold '06" and I'm kinda dopey (dopier than usual)?

My old Mac's a G3 B&W 450 has firewire but can't use the awesomeness of the new iMac's Migration Assistant since it won't boot into FireWire Target Disk mode (which I discovered thanks to googling and no thanks to either the Migration Assistant or Apple's technical support :( )

So I went out and got myself a NexStar-3 USB/FireWire external case (because it was in stock and I was beginning to feel queasy and wanted to just go home).

Now... the questions begin.

I have three hard drives in the old G3... an 80G HD divided into 'System' and 'Crap', another 80G HD ('Stuff') that has back-up files of 'Crap', a lot of programs and more files and a smaller OS 9 HD that won't be going anywhere.

I've dragged the 'Crap' files over to the 'Stuff' HD, as well as the 'System''s Application Folder and User Folder.

Is it better to:

1. Put the 'System' and 'Crap' combined HD into the external casing and drag the files over to the new iMac's HD and what kind of messages will be popping up (i.e. 'this 'x' is an older version of this file/application... what do you want to do?') and then put 'Stuff' into the external and repeat the process?

2. Put 'Stuff' as in into the external and drag the files over and what kind of messages blah, blah, blah?

3. What does this 'ethernet' cable solution actually do and can it be done on a B&W? And can I just use my current ethernet cable I use to connect the B&W to my router?

I guess my biggest concern is making sure applications (and preferences) and my browser stuff and Thunderbird email things make the transition seamlessly as possible.

'Cause I figure I have another three days of feeling like hell and I just want to make things go right the first time... .

Oy... I gotto go blow my way through a box of tissues.

MacDoc
Oct 14th, 2006, 07:45 PM
You cannot just drag stuff around if you are OSX.

Put the system drive from the old Mac into the external case. MIGRATE that.

THEN put the the other drives in and COPY them.

Betty Woo
Oct 15th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Ack. In the end, I found an ethernet cable, read the 'help' thing, opened up my sharing privileges on both machines, found my old mac's hard drives on my new iMac, started transferring things and went for a tasteless lunch.

Got home a bit more clear-headed and saw that everything went smoothly. Sat and then transferred large chunks of the 'User' and 'Applications' files onto the new iMac's HD for about an hour and a half and now everything seems cool. I even put the old mac in my project room so I'm confident that the procedure is over and done with.

Except now I have a pair of external Labtec speakers that can't seem to be connected... .

Strangely, this sinus cold's sucked most of the enthusiastic joy from getting the new iMac.

Perhaps I need to name it something besides... 'The New Computer'? Or find nice icons for the file folders on the desktop... .

Bleh.

And find a 250GB hard drive to eventually put into that external case to be back up.

:::aaaaaachhhooooo... drip, drip:::

Chealion
Oct 15th, 2006, 03:45 AM
FWIW about crossover cables:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717

Nutshell? So long as one of the computers was made since about 2003 (see model listings as there is some over lap) you can use a crossover or a straight through cable and it will adapt itself to the situation necessary.