: MP3 ripping in iTunes

maximusbibicus
Dec 31st, 2005, 05:29 PM
I am in the process of ripping all my CDs to MP3, and had a quick question on the settings i am using.

In order from the top.

Bit Rate: 320kbps (I know the files will be big, but I am cool with that)
Sample Rate: 44.100khz (every mp3 I have has the rate at 44.100, any reason to bump it to 48.000?)
Channels: Stereo (options are mono, stereo or Auto. I have it set to stereo. Any reason why it should be set at auto? I don't have any music in mono i don't think. )
Stereo Mode: Joint Stereo (pro and cons versus regular stereo?)

The last two boxes I am not sure of. For best sound quality, should those be checked?

Any tips you have would be great. I wanna make sure I do this right before importing 400 cds.

maximusbibicus
Jan 1st, 2006, 06:05 PM
Bump.

Derrick
Jan 1st, 2006, 09:13 PM
The following should answer your questions (from Apple's website):

Sample Rate: Sample rate is the number of times per second that the music waveforms are captured digitally. The higher the sample rate, the higher the quality and the larger the file size. Be sure to choose a sample rate that is no higher than the rate used to originally store the music, or you'll waste space. CD quality, for example, is 44.100 kHz, so choosing a higher rate when you're encoding from a CD is unnecessary. In general, the best choice is Auto, which uses the same rate as the original music.

Channels: Mono files are about half the size of stereo files. Mono is appropriate if you don't have stereo speakers or if your audio files are monaural. If you'll be listening to your MP3 files using your stereo system, choose Stereo or Auto. Auto converts tracks that are already monaural into mono MP3 files, and stereo files into stereo MP3 files.

Stereo Mode: In Normal mode, your MP3 files contain one track for the right stereo channel and one track for the left. In many cases, the two channels contain related information. In Joint Stereo mode, one channel carries the information that's identical on both channels, and the other channel carries the unique information. At bit rates of 128 Kbps and below, this can improve the sound quality of your converted audio.

Here is the link for the info from Apple:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=iTunesWin/5.0/en/628.html

BobbyFett
Jan 1st, 2006, 09:38 PM
if space is no issue, should you not perhaps consider using apple lossless?

maximusbibicus
Jan 1st, 2006, 09:47 PM
Awesome. Thanks ;)

I'd rather stick to MP3, so my files will be compatible with different mp3 players, phones, and my car deck.

Chealion
Jan 1st, 2006, 11:01 PM
If staying with MP3s is a big concern I might suggest looking into using the LAME encoder rather then built-in encoder.

http://blacktree.com/apps/iTunes-LAME/