: Can't read php or TIFF files?

JMiller
Dec 30th, 2005, 12:07 PM
I download faxes from my work server that end up on my desktop as .php files with a Preview icon that says TIFF, or, as a blank file with a .php designation. They are getting opened by "DigitalColor Meter".

I tried to fix it by changing the settings in Firefox's "View & Action" settings, but lost ALL the settings in "Download Action" and can't reset/reinstall any of them.
The Firefox help says that "Download Action" will identify "... file types that you have downloaded. " Meaning files you've already tried downloading. Yet after downloading a new TIFF or one of these faxes I don't see it as a setting choice. (I hope this makes sense.)

I've downloaded ImageJ and can't get it to open up these files because "Can't open TIFF files compressed in this fashion."

Adobe Reader won't open them either.

I'm using OSX 10.4 on a Dual 500mghz PPC.

<sound of hair ripping out of skull>

Thanks - I hope that's enough info.

MacDoc
Dec 30th, 2005, 12:08 PM
GraphicConverter should handle it. You should be able to set it up as a helper app as well.

JMiller
Dec 30th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Thanks MacDoc. GraphicHelper only shows me the first page, and the image is all squished and barely readable. I don't understand this, "...set it up as a helper app as well"?

Irie Guy
Dec 31st, 2005, 07:48 PM
Is it possible that these are Microsoft Office for Windows TIFF files. They don't play too nicely with other applications. I received a logo for my company that was a TIFF file that no other program other than Microsoft Office Picture Manager would open.