: Want to upgrade Windoze 98

MissGulch
Dec 30th, 2005, 10:22 AM
I use Virtual PC 6 with Windoze 98 on a Mac Mini, but there's a software I need to use that runs on XP, Win 2000 and higher. It's the Blue Security software that harasses spammers from your desktop.

http://www.bluesecurity.com/default.asp?flash=1

Ebay sells all sorts of Win disks, but I don't know which is the cheapest I can use. They have boot disks and full installs. They're all the same to me. Can anybody explain the least painful way to update to XP? I don't want to spend too much on this. :rolleyes:

I bugged the Blue Security company a couple of times about giving us a Mac version, but it doesn't seem to be a priority for now.

darkscot
Dec 30th, 2005, 10:53 AM
You'll need a full install, not just a boot disk. I'm not sure if there is a version of XP for just upgrading from a previous OS but probably and likely cheaper, too.

BTW - how does VPC run on your Mini? And what Mini version do you have?

jicon
Dec 30th, 2005, 10:57 AM
I personally would look at some other software to run to stop SPAM. Outlook 2003 SPAM filters work remarkably well.

The reason I would shy away from upgrading the OS, is because Windows98 goes fairly easy on system resources, as opposed to the NT kerneled Win 2000 or XP.

You are only running a Mac Mini, and I guarantee you will see a big performance hit.

Maybe versiontracker.com or tucows.com offers some great SPAM harrassment software for Win98?

MissGulch
Dec 30th, 2005, 10:58 AM
You'll need a full install, not just a boot disk. I'm not sure if there is a version of XP for just upgrading from a previous OS but probably and likely cheaper, too.

BTW - how does VPC run on your Mini? And what Mini version do you have?
I'm using VPC 6 and it runs very slow. I have only 256 mb of RAM and hoping a 1 gig upgrade will help.

krs
Dec 30th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I'm using VPC 6 and it runs very slow. I have only 256 mb of RAM and hoping a 1 gig upgrade will help.

Miss G - If W98SE runs slow on your Mac with VPC 6, then I want to emphasize what jicon already said - XP will be much. much slower.
Perhaps more memory will help. I run VPC6 with Win98SE on a 450Mhz PowerMac but with over 1 Gig of RAM.
It's not too bad but I only use it for two programs where I can't get an equivalent Mac version. Also used it once with IE where the Mac version of IE and none of the Mac browsers would open a webpage.

Bajan
Dec 30th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I would recommend you go with Windows 2000 Professional as it provides you with a much more smooth and usable system. Windows XP is quite slow when used on VPC. You can fine tune it by going back to the classic interface and disabling a number of unnecessary services but even then it is still pretty damn slow and may drive you crazy.

You can indeed upgrade from Windows 98 to 2000/XP but you may find things to be "buggy". A fresh install is best. No reason why you can't have another Virtual OS and keep 98.

MissGulch
Dec 30th, 2005, 05:57 PM
I would recommend you go with Windows 2000 Professional as it provides you with a much more smooth and usable system. Windows XP is quite slow when used on VPC. You can fine tune it by going back to the classic interface and disabling a number of unnecessary services but even then it is still pretty damn slow and may drive you crazy.

You can indeed upgrade from Windows 98 to 2000/XP but you may find things to be "buggy". A fresh install is best. No reason why you can't have another Virtual OS and keep 98.
Thanks, Bajan. Maybe I should buy a higher version of VPC with Win 2000 already included, and not bother getting 2000 install disks.

A Windoze-using friend tried out the Blue Security software and he said his spam was reduced 80% in less than a week. I have three web mail boxes that I would like to use this with. These boxes get hundreds of spams every day. Yes, each day!

CubaMark
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Not being a user of VPC, this may not be relevant - but I find on many of the PCs I've been forced to use since it came out, Windows XP will run much, much better if you turn off that ugly "Fisher Price" interface. In the System Control Panel there is an option to revert to the "Classic" interface (i.e., Win 98).

I'd be interested in hearing from you WinXP on VPC users if this has much of a performance improvement...

M

ArtistSeries
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Not being a user of VPC, this may not be relevant - but I find on many of the PCs I've been forced to use since it came out, Windows XP will run much, much better if you turn off that ugly "Fisher Price" interface. In the System Control Panel there is an option to revert to the "Classic" interface (i.e., Win 98).

CubaMark, that is good advice. As with the OS X much of the system is slowed down by the eye candy.

krs
Dec 30th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Thanks, Bajan. Maybe I should buy a higher version of VPC with Win 2000 already included, and not bother getting 2000 install disks.

A Windoze-using friend tried out the Blue Security software and he said his spam was reduced 80% in less than a week. I have three web mail boxes that I would like to use this with. These boxes get hundreds of spams every day. Yes, each day!

Miss G. - I think you're getting excellent advice from everyone here, but going back to the original problem you're trying to solve - does the Blue Security software catch Spam before it gets to your web mail box, and if so, where does Windows anything get into the picture?

OK - I tried to answer my own question so I looked up Blue Frog and more important, comments and articles about Blue Frog from independant sites.
Turns out that Blue Frog doesn't filter or catch spam at all, it's simply a registry of email addresses that is sent to the spammers with the request to stop spam to that email address.
Not sure why this should depend on any specific OS on your computer, but they make you download an .exe file which is something I would never want on my Mac, even with VPC.
The other thing I find odd is how they manage to contact the spammers. Every piece of spam that I received (and I don't get anywhere near hundreds a day) and where I use the Apple mail 'bounce' feature, usually comes back with a message that the reply email address does not exist.

AppleAuthority
Dec 31st, 2005, 05:27 PM
As mentioned above, shy away from XP. Even set to Classic mode, unfortunately XP's underpinnings make it noticeably slower than Windows 2000. Especially on a machine with low RAM. I run Windows 2000 with 512 MB RAM for VPC7 (note, version 7 is faster than 6, even on G4s), and it's not bad. Enough for the casual need (you will have to upgrade the RAM in your Mac mini eventually, and you'll see an improvement in speed in OS X as well).