: Powerbook insanity....

used to be jwoodget
Dec 30th, 2005, 12:02 AM
My daughters 12" 1.33 GHz powerbook started acting very strangley about a month ago. She took it in to the U Waterloo computer store as it was still under the one year warranty but after 12 days they said it was a software problem. So it's now Dad's problem. Among the oddities:

Frequent application crashes
Documents have generic icon
Software Update crashes when run
dmg files fail to open (device not formatted?)
USB ports inoperative
Spotlight/Find File fails to find anything

I set up a new user account but it was plagued too.

So, I reinstalled OS X 10.4 from a DVD (I did an archive and install since she has tons of stuff on the drive inc. apps with disks left in Waterloo), downloaded and ran the latest version of Onyx and then ran Software Update and deleted the old System file. All *seems* well. Or am I deluding myself and it needs a complete re-format? She does back-up her documents to CD but re-installing her apps and preferences would be a significant amount of work.

Should I re-initialize or hope for the best...?

MACSPECTRUM
Dec 30th, 2005, 12:25 AM
do you have a copy of Disk Warrior or Tech Tool Pro 4 to give the hard disk a good going over?
That would be a nice finishing touch
Just to make sure is really isn't the hard drive. Not that I distrust Waterloo U's computer store techs.

Other than that make sure important files are backed up and "hope for the best"

You methodology looks sound to me.

Make sure you teach your daughter how to run OnyX on a regular basis.

MacDoc
Dec 30th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Lookout you gotta get extended warranty- you are likely seeing the first signs of the lower slot issue.

December 29, 2005

OS X Updates Damaging PowerBooks Lower RAM Slot

Engadget has an interesting article on Mac OS X updates disabling or even permanently damaging the lower RAM slot in PowerBooks. It goes like this: after you update to Mac OS 10.3.9, 10.4.0, and 10.4.1 the PowerBooks' lower RAM slot spontaneously goes bad.

The current operating assumption is that the update actually makes the firmware controller or possibly the chipset get all wonky, which, in turn, may disable the lower memory slot (permanently).
It's a pretty serious claim and the lawyers are already working themselves into a lather over it.

Mac OS X updates disable or damage PowerBooks?
Posted Dec 28th 2005 10:50AM by Ryan Block
Filed under: Laptops

Apple, seriously try and stay out of some product settlements for a few, ok? Not but yesterday the 1/2/3G iPod settlement got wrapped and finalized, and today we come to find out that another suit could be inbound with an open registration of complaints over what apparently occurs to some users when -- of all things -- they update to 10.3.9, 10.4.0, and 10.4.1: their PowerBooks' lower RAM slots go bad. The current operating assumption is that the update actually makes the firmware controller or possibly the chipset get all wonky, which, in turn, may disable the lower memory slot (permanently).

http://www.engadget.com/2005/12/28/mac-os-x-updates-disable-and-or-damage-powerbook-memory-hardware/

Apple has been fighting this slot issue toothand nail. :mad:

Strimkind
Dec 30th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Don't 12" powerbooks only have 1 RAM slot?

MacDoc
Dec 30th, 2005, 12:48 AM
Oops missed that - ignore BUT let anyone with a 15" know of the situation.

UJW I would buy the Applecare now it is cheaper.

mr.steevo
Dec 30th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Hi,

My brother in-law's 12" PB was wonky until he pulled the RAM and did a complete reinstall. Surely there is someone in Waterloo that can do this?

s.

used to be jwoodget
Dec 30th, 2005, 02:29 PM
It's out of the one year warranty now (and AppleCare for a 12" is waaay too expensive. Must be all of those 15" failures.....).

P.S. I've a new 15" with 2 x 1 gig RAM. I'll track the failures but it seems pretty random/rare.