: Okay geekazoids: Help me secure my ibook for wifi use

imachungry
Dec 29th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I travel tons, and I take my ibook everywhere, and often access both my mail and banking websites from cafes. I'm terrified of getting compromised, and keep reading horror stories.

That said, I'm looking for "reasonable" steps to take to secure my ibook, not the heavily geeked out stuff that makes my eyes tire whilst reading.

Questions

1. I know for banking sites I should use "https" only, but is that enough?

2. Is checking "ssl" in Mail enough to safely suck down my mail?

I read this site, but is it enough and does it still apply? (it's slightly dated)
http://www.stopdesign.com/log/2005/02/07/secure-email.html

Thanks for any help and Happy New Year.

live4ever
Dec 29th, 2005, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't do ANY banking over Wifi in public places - you can't control the network or the encryption.

imachungry
Dec 29th, 2005, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't do ANY banking over Wifi in public places - you can't control the network or the encryption.

Really???

harrytse
Dec 29th, 2005, 08:12 PM
i agree, unless you tunnel all your Internt traffic through an encrypted VPN connection.

imachungry
Dec 30th, 2005, 09:57 AM
i agree, unless you tunnel all your Internt traffic through an encrypted VPN connection.

Okay, you're talking geek. Help me out and explain what that means, thanks :)

Bajan
Dec 30th, 2005, 05:06 PM

On a public Wi-Fi system there is no real security. Anyone within receiver distance can "sniff" the packets going back and forth between the computers and the router and can clearly see any text based input like your POP/SMTP password or information entered via a form on a website.

The only way to get around this is to use an SSL or a VPN connection which ain't going to be easy to understand without a good day at school.

Your bank should have an SSL connection (which is HTTPS://). That should be enough protection to prevent people from seeing your bankcard number/password since your browser makes a secure connection directly with the bank's servers but there are ways to get around this.

harrytse
Dec 31st, 2005, 08:49 PM

VPN essentially creates a network connection between two computers through the Internet, creating a tunnel. With an encrypted VPN connection even if the wireless internet connection isn't secure, the VPN connection establishes a layer of security through the encrypted tunnel.