: How can I remove virus "worm.bagle.gen-zippwd"

krs
Dec 29th, 2005, 01:22 PM
My Apple mail was acting up so I ran a virus scanner and found one virus in my inbox.
It was identified as "worm.bagle.gen-zippwd"

Question now is how to get rid of it. I can't even figure out which message the virus was detected in - seems like the whole inbox is one single file when it comes to virus scanning.
Any suggestions how to proceed.
I assume the virus is in a mail attachment, not just a plain email - or is that already a wrong assumption?
I'm on OS 10.3.9; virus scan was done with ClamXav

mr.steevo
Dec 29th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Hi,

Knowing nothing about this virus stuff, I would email people on my contact list and ask if any of them has this same virus. If, say, "Bill" reply's saying that he does have the virus then I would delete all of Bill's emails.

Like I say, I don't know a thing about this. But that's what I'd do. Of course, by sending out an email I may send the virus on to everyone else.
*shrug*

s.

DBerG
Dec 29th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Any clue what this virus can do?

A virus on OS X.....huh?

TrevX
Dec 29th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Here is all of the information I could gather on the virus. Its Windows only, of course, so no worries about it infecting your Mac. You likely got it from one of your Windows-using friends.

http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?virusid=21948

and

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]!zip.html

Trev

krs
Dec 29th, 2005, 04:07 PM
This virus didn't infect the Mac per se, but it sure seemed to play havoc with my Apple email.
I say "seemed" because I'm not 100% sure yet that the email problems have actually disappeared. They haven't come back yet, but I won't know for a few days if they are really gone or if the email problems are due to something else and are still present.
Problems were a flashing screen when composing email, 'woodpecker sounds from the speakers and a cursor that would just run across the email page by itself (almost if the spacebar was automatically repeated).
Now, I also had a non-functioning spacebar that somehow fixed itself this morning - but before I found the email with he virus and deleted it.
The email was actually from nobody I know - it had a .doc file attached to it.
The email was never opened and of course neither was the attachment. It was still on the Mac because I sort the inbox by date and the date on that one was altered so it didn't show up in the upper part f the inbox window.
Finding the infected file wasn't that difficult; I only had a 100 or so files with attachments. I divided them into two groups, put one group into a "Virus A" folder and the other into a "Virus B" folder; ran the virus scanner - it identified which of the folders the virus file was in. So I put all the files in the folder without the virus back into the inbox, and divided the remaining files into two groups again. Proceeded that way until I had isolated the infected file.
Didn't take very long actually.
It would have been a problem if the virus was in an email file/attachment I wanted to keep - all the removal tools I found were Windows based.
Anyway - the last scan I ran of all my mailboxes came out clean; I'll probably to a scan of the whole hard drive over night; takes a long time to run.

CubaMark
Dec 29th, 2005, 05:01 PM
KRS, you don't have email problems. It looks like you turned on "universal access" (check the Universal Access system preference pane). That can turn on "tapping" sounds when you type, and various other things such as those you described.

To mangle a phrase, "it's not a virus, it's a feature!"

And no, the Windows virus you received as an email attachment cannot hurt your Mac. No worries.

:)
M

MacDoc
Dec 29th, 2005, 05:44 PM
SpamSieve is also an excellent blocker for that sort of nonsense.

audiodan
Dec 29th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I would say, uninstall and reinstall Mail, and delete your spamy sites/emails!

krs
Dec 29th, 2005, 06:39 PM
KRS, you don't have email problems. It looks like you turned on "universal access" (check the Universal Access system preference pane). That can turn on "tapping" sounds when you type, and various other things such as those you described.

To mangle a phrase, "it's not a virus, it's a feature!"

And no, the Windows virus you received as an email attachment cannot hurt your Mac. No worries.

:)
M

CM - Can't be universal access. I checked all four panels there, everything is turned off.
I can see that the screen flashing could have been due to that if it had been turned on, but the tapping sound only happened when the cursor was moving across the screen all by itself - no sounds when I type normally.

MacDoc
Dec 29th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Your space bar likely is still stuck.
Pop the space bar off and use a bit of alcohol to clean around the actuator switch.

krs
Dec 29th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I have been typing all afternoon, so has my wife.
Spacebar never gave either of us the slightest problem again, but I wouldn't mind popping it off to look. Does it just pop off straight up?
Never mind - I just removed all the keys in the lower row of the keyboard and cleaned out a few crumbs.

CubaMark
Dec 30th, 2005, 09:44 AM
krs, my best guess is that, if it's not UI doing it, that you have some other "helper" program running that you are activating, perhaps with an inadvertant keystroke.

Check your Accounts preference pane, and see what is being automatically loaded in the "Login items" section.

M.

krs
Dec 30th, 2005, 10:03 AM
CB - I never knew where the start up items are on 10.3 - good thing to know and thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
However, the only two apps in start up are iTunesHelper and iCalAlarmScheduler. I assume those two were placed there automatically when the OS was first installed.
I have never downloaded a 'helper' application that would flash the screen. I keep all the applications I download from the net in a separate folder on my hard drive. There are only five, the one that might be considered a 'helper' application is Safari Enhancer, but I have had that one and the rest (except ClamXav) for many months now, long before the mail problems started.
Yesterday was a whole day with no problems; so far everything is fine today as well.

pm-r
Sep 7th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I was registered at your forum. I have printed the test message. Do not delete, please.

Spam links removed

Huh ???? ???

Is there an actual specific Mac problem you're having???

Patrick

fjnmusic
Sep 7th, 2009, 03:18 AM
Huh ???? ???

Patrick

I'd say "date and time" problem, given that this conversation took place around Christmas 2005.

HowEver
Sep 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Huh ???? ???

Patrick

He's having a spam problem.

The message you quoted has a bunch of links not very well hidden in same-background colour. Select-all and you'll see them.

winwintoo
Sep 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I'd say "date and time" problem, given that this conversation took place around Christmas 2005.

Dang, and I just read the whole silly thread :eek: