: Powerbook won't sleep???

apple=god
Dec 29th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Ok i know what your thinking, this idiot has no idea how to put his powerbook into sleep mode, but I DO!!! I don't understand... I close the lid on the powerbook and it sleeps for a round 1 second and then boots up again. i open the lid and the screen's back light is off and white on black coding is written across ontop of whatevers going on when i close it. I can't make out what the coding says but i know it's something in terminal. I think theres something that my 1Ghz powerbook G4 is choking on, some sort of void script running when u sleep it. When i press sleep it works fine but as soon as i shut the lid all hell breaks loose. Any ideas?:D :confused:

ice_hackey
Dec 29th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Maybe your monitor cable is broken.. or is snagged and backing-out as you close the lid.

This might cause a kernel panic, which is possibly what you're seeing there.
Sounds like a hardware problem, IMHO.

Macified
Dec 29th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Is the white on black text in the center of the screen? If this is a the case your system is having a kernel panic. My G3 iBook experienced these when the logic board was failing. My G4 iBook experienced these when the AirPort card wiggled a bit loose and failed during internet access. It's usually hardware issues that cause these things. You'll want to get it serviced.

As mentioned above. If the backlight is off and your getting a panic, it's likely a monitor cable or video subsystem issue. The failure in the part is triggering a system crash.

Jestered
Dec 29th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Before taking the computer anywhere there are a few things you need to do to determine whether it is a hardware issue or not.

First thing you need to do is boot the computer while holding the Shift key down. This will boot into safe mode. Close the lid and open. If the problem is not there then it is not a hardware issue.

Next boot using a different user. Test.... if the problem is not there then it is a software issue with your user.

Also, if you have installed any non apple RAM, remove it and test. If the problem is not there it is a problem with your RAM.

You can also boot from the install disk and test it that way. If the problem is not there, again, it is not a hardware issue.

The backlight is not off. What you are seeing is a kernel panic. When this happens, the background picture fades to almost black behind the kernel panic message. If you see any thing on the screen the backlight is working.

You are getting a kernel panic. In my experience, most the time, this is a software issue. It can be caused by hardware failure, but you need to determine that before taking the time to take it to a repair shop.