: Powerbook Acting Weird at Startup

SINC
Dec 25th, 2005, 10:22 AM
My 12.1", 1 Ghz Al Powerbook 40G HD/768 Mb RAM/Superdrive has been acting odd ever since the last system upgrade to 10.4.3.

After the chime, a blue screen appears, but just momentarily with a folder with a question mark in it. This lasts only a second or so, the the gray screen with the Apple logo appears as normal with the little rotating gear.

But then the screen goes black, then flashes on blue, goes black, flashes on blue again and the normal start up bar appears to show it loading for only about two seconds, and then the desktop.

It does it each and every time in exactly the same order. I still have 11 months Apple Care, but I am wondering if I should be concerned or take it in for a check up.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Lawrence
Dec 25th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I've had to downgrade my Upgraded Sawtooth to OSX 10.4.2 because of problems
with the updates, My Sawtooth wouldn't boot, It'd just stay at the grey circle with a line through it.

OSX 10.4.2 has been running flawless.

Glad I had a backup on an external drive and all my pref's on iDisk.

kps
Dec 25th, 2005, 11:38 AM
FWIW, my 12" 867MHz powerbook is working fine. Your issue may be a corrupted file system, especially the boot files and/or the disk sectors.

Run DiskWarrior (Tiger compatible) if you have it. If not, run diskutility followed by repair permissions.

Failing that, download the standalone updater and reinstall the update.

Check your Console logs for clues or boot in verbose mode and see what's hanging it up.

Downgrading seems redundant, it should work, so the solution is to fix it.

AppleAuthority
Dec 25th, 2005, 03:01 PM
I had the same problem on my PowerBook after the 10.4.2 update. However, I used the normal update. Upon updating to 10.4.3, I used Apple's Combo Update instead, and that (plus running Repair Disk Permissions and Repair Disk in Disk Utility) seemed to fix the problem. Give it a shot.

SINC
Dec 25th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Since I do not have the Tiger version of Disk Warrior, it did prompt me to order it online today, after trying the old version and getting a full blown kernel panic.

I ran disk utility, repaired permissions and reinstalled the update with absolutely no change. I then ran Tech Tool Pro with the same result. Then OnyX with no change either.

I guess I now wait for the DW upgrade disk to arrive, and put up with it until then.

MacDoc
Dec 25th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Did you do the Combo update???

If not an archive and install is likely best. This does not sound like a DW fix tho it never hurts.

SINC
Dec 26th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Did you do the Combo update???

If not an archive and install is likely best. This does not sound like a DW fix tho it never hurts.
Yes, I did the combo update.

MACSPECTRUM
Dec 26th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Since I do not have the Tiger version of Disk Warrior, it did prompt me to order it online today, after trying the old version and getting a full blown kernel panic.

I ran disk utility, repaired permissions and reinstalled the update with absolutely no change. I then ran Tech Tool Pro with the same result. Then OnyX with no change either.

I guess I now wait for the DW upgrade disk to arrive, and put up with it until then.

make sure that you run OnyX (which also repairs permissions) BEFORE any update
then run OnyX again AFTER the update

I have used this method ever since I migrated to OS X and never had any problems

"Gram of prevention is worth a kilo of cure."

Also, get yourself an external backup hard drive and make a clone on a regular basis using software like SuperDuper! Also make a clone before updates.

This methodology gives you the best chance to avoid problems.

Over the past 3 years I have migrated to least 9 different Macs (testing, using, then trading)

This method worked each time.
It does take a little bit longer, but like a good meal is worth it.

[food analogy for Sinc, since he and I seem to share an affinity for good food]
:D

PS - Make sure that your hard drive is selected as the Startup Disk
System Preferences > Startup Disk

SINC
Dec 26th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks Michael. I ran OnyX like you suggested for about the last three or four updates. I should note that the problem didn't show up right after the initial update, rather about three days after. I don't use the Powerbook for days at a time and it was perhaps a seek after the update that it started this behaviour.

And thanks, but not to worry, I am fully backed up on both an external firewire HD as well as on the second drive within my Quicksilver.

Kind of like having an extra jar of sauerkraut in the pantry! ;)

Chealion
Dec 26th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Sinc - Have you tried going to your Startup Disk Preference Pane and reselected your startup disk? It's corrected most of the symptoms you're describing for myself on different computers over the years. (Going from right back in OS 7 up till Tiger)

MACSPECTRUM
Dec 26th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Kind of like having an extra jar of sauerkraut in the pantry! ;)

:D :D :D

Now you're talking my language !!