: iMovie won't burn the 1 file

sketch
Dec 23rd, 2005, 08:06 PM
I've encountered a strange thing with iMovie (2005). I've captured about 1 hour and 10 minutes of video and sent it to iDVD. I chose a menu and put in necessary photos and background music for the menu. I insert a blank DVD, toast pops up, I ignore it and press burn on iDVD. 3 hours of processing and I get a burn error. I run Onyx to repair permissions and I tried iDVD again and got the same error.

I tried again with a shorter video (about 2 minutes long) I captured a month ago and it works. I try again with my hour-long video and I get the error again.

I know it can't be Toast having popped up because the shorter video worked. Has anyone run into this problem? I have never had this happen before and I've converted many of my 2-hr videotapes to DVD flawlessly. I am stumped!

edit: oops! I meant I can't burn with iDVD, not iMovie :)
edit #2: the iMovie file is on my PowerBook harddrive, not on an external

Jestered
Dec 23rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Trash the iDVD prefs and try again. That is what I did and no longer have problems.

Added:

I thought I would give some info on what was happening on mine and you can compare your issues...

My video was over 1 hour so it had to do all the conversion at the end. It would get to stage 4 (I think) where it would start to burn the disk, and iDVD would quit. The DVD was untouched though so at least I was not losing disks. I tried many tweaks on my video to decrease the size and all that stuff. Then I went back to basics and deleted the iDVD prefs, tried to burn the original video without the downsizing tweaks and no problems.