: 10.4server dhcp help

jaydsl
Dec 20th, 2005, 02:33 PM
hi i'm on wireless and i'm trying to share my internet with another computer but i can't seem to get the other one online what or how can i get this working ?

thanks

ColBalt
Dec 20th, 2005, 04:08 PM
hi i'm on wireless and i'm trying to share my internet with another computer but i can't seem to get the other one online what or how can i get this working ?

thanks
How are you trying to share? Ethernet? FireWire?

Chealion
Dec 20th, 2005, 05:01 PM
The basics for internet sharing with your Mac to another Mac:

Go to the Internet Sharing tab in the Sharing Preference Pane.
1. Choose the connection to the internet (we'll assume wireless in this instance).
2. Choose another connection to share the connection (Assuming ethernet)
3. Press Start.
4. Open ports on your firewall (eg. port 80) so the other computer can access the internet.

To confirm it's working on the second computer, confirm it is getting an IP address that is not 169.254.x.x (where x can be any number less then 255).

Are you able to confirm this much? If the problem is after this it is most likely to do with your firewall.

jaydsl
Dec 20th, 2005, 06:18 PM
what if i just shut off firewall ? this is server10.4 there is no internet sharing in prefs it is in server admin

jaydsl
Dec 20th, 2005, 06:19 PM
and i am trying to share my net on wieless to my ethernet

Chealion
Dec 20th, 2005, 06:45 PM
If you are using Mac OS X 10.4 Server then the instructions won't help you any.

You'll need to look at http://www.apple.com/support/macosxserver/networkservices/ and check out the Gateway Setup Assistant in /Applications/Server

dthompson101
Dec 21st, 2005, 08:17 AM
You need to enable NAT on your settings within the server admin tab. The IP forwarding doesn't matter at this point, but you can add it in the hostconfig file which is located in /etc/

IPFORWARD=-YES-

If your WAN interface is en1 (which is your airport) you might have to share change the PLIST configuration on the NAT settings and change the settings from en0 to either en1 or ppp0 if the server is connected directly to the WAN interface.

Obviously your DHCP would reflect this internal IP address that you want to share out across the Built-in Ethernet interface.

As for not getting your other machine online, is your dhcp service handing out IP addresses from it's pool? Can you pont the internal IP address (192.168.1.1) for example, and if so can you ping the WAN IP address that is provided to you by the ISP???