: Tiger Server

phobic
Dec 18th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Hi, I have a Tiger server setup on an old G3 (finally got it working) and I'm playing around with it. I have it connected to a sympatico modem and it connects perfectly over PPPoE. I ran Gateway Setup Assistant and it setup a subnet on my second NIC, and I can connect my G5 to the server.

The problem is that I can't browse the internet. I have set the G5 to DHCP and in Network Status it shows as connected. I have even run Network Diagnostic and it tells me I appear to be connected to the internet.

I assumed it was a DNS issue, but even typing in IP numbers into a browser doesn't bring up the site. Since DHCP and DNS appear to be working, I assume it must be NAT, but I can't see what settings should be different.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Chealion
Dec 19th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Firewall blocking port 80 on the server?

phobic
Dec 19th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I don't believe it's the firewall - I admit I'm not 100% on how the server firewall works, but I can't believe LAN > WAN on port 80 is turned off by default, and I've tried turning off the firewall service completely.

One thing seems strange to me - when I ssh into the server from the G5, I see 'toronto-hse-ppp4063965.sympatico.ca' in terminal - does this indicate some kind of DNS mismatch? I also see that in a lot of the logs as server name and DNS name too..

phobic
Dec 19th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Additional - I did note on some of the server documentation that static IP is required - obviously since I'm on sympatico I only have dynamic (I am looking at switching to Kelcom to get a static IP). I wouldn't expect this to present a problem unless the issue was the connection dropping when the server restarts or when the dynamic IP was renewed.

phobic
Dec 19th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Another update: apparently the firewall is pretty tight by default. I will try setting a specific rule for port 80 from the G5 and see if that solves it.