: Can't import movies from Canon A60 into iMovie

jmac
Dec 18th, 2005, 11:42 AM
iPhoto has no issues recognizing my camera for stills, but i can't get iMovie to import movie clips - it says that there is no camera connected. ???
TIA

apple=god
Dec 18th, 2005, 11:49 AM
is it a camera or a video camera? if it's a camera than you should just connect it to your computer via usb and then poke around in it's memory until you find your movie files, than drag and drop them into imovie
hope that helps...

jmac
Dec 18th, 2005, 11:59 AM
it's a camera, but i cant get access to it's files other than through iPhoto. im pretty sure that i did this once before but can't remember what i did.

jmac
Dec 18th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I gave up on the iMac and plugged the camera into my ThinkPad, where i was able to download the files quite easily.

apple=god
Dec 18th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Gasp

TrevX
Dec 19th, 2005, 02:25 PM
it's a camera, but i cant get access to it's files other than through iPhoto. im pretty sure that i did this once before but can't remember what i did.

Does the camera have a "disk mode" available? Basically unless Canon provides software to interact with it, iPhoto will not import the videos, and iMovie doesn't recognize anything but Firewire devices. Most cameras can mount on the desktop like a removable disk, so if you camera has that ability then that is an option. Other than that, get a memory card reader for your Mac and put the memory card from the camera into the reader, it'll mount like a removable drive.

Trev

macsackbut
Dec 19th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Does the camera have a "disk mode" available? Basically unless Canon provides software to interact with it, iPhoto will not import the videos[...]Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but I can definitely vouch for the fact the iPhoto will import videos directly from a Canon camera. I recently had a friend take a bunch of photos and videos of a wedding we both attended. Back home, he plugged it directly into my Mini and iPhoto imported everything--stills and videos. I certainly haven't installed any Canon software on my computer, but I don't know what mode the camera was in either. All I know is that the videos are now part of my iPhoto library. From there, I was able to drag them into iMovie with no problem. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it works.

mguertin
Dec 19th, 2005, 03:22 PM
You can use ImageCapture (part of OSX) to download the movies from the camera, then you can drop them into iMovie as well.

I've never had luck with iPhoto importing videos from Canon cameras here.

TrevX
Dec 19th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but I can definitely vouch for the fact the iPhoto will import videos directly from a Canon camera. I recently had a friend take a bunch of photos and videos of a wedding we both attended. Back home, he plugged it directly into my Mini and iPhoto imported everything--stills and videos. I certainly haven't installed any Canon software on my computer, but I don't know what mode the camera was in either. All I know is that the videos are now part of my iPhoto library. From there, I was able to drag them into iMovie with no problem. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it works.
Yeah, the latest iPhoto will import videos from most cameras, but from the original post it sounded like this solution did not work for him, so its possible that he does not have the latest iPhoto. If he did, he surely would have seen his videos in there.

jmac, make sure you upgrade to iPhoto 5 and see if that will pull in your videos. Also, do you know what format it takes video in?

Trev

jmac
Dec 19th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Sorry, I should have mentioned I was running 10.3.9 and iPhoto2!! Great Ceasar's Ghost! I didn't realize that until now. Sorry for wasting everyone's time. I was somewhat disappointed that it was easier for me to import my videos through XP than through OS X.... iPhoto2.... i can't believe I didn't check that ....

mguertin
Dec 20th, 2005, 12:57 PM
again, try image capture. I like it a LOT better than iMovie if you're just out to download your photos. I personally really don't have much use for iMovie, it doesn't suit my needs or workflow .. aside from the fact that it sucks WAY too much CPU for what it does.

Trev: Just for the sake of completeness .. I have iPhoto 5 on my laptop here, and it still doesn't download movies from 2 of our 3 canon digital cameras at work, only imagecapture works for me.

TrevX
Dec 20th, 2005, 04:12 PM
again, try image capture. I like it a LOT better than iMovie if you're just out to download your photos. I personally really don't have much use for iMovie, it doesn't suit my needs or workflow .. aside from the fact that it sucks WAY too much CPU for what it does.

Trev: Just for the sake of completeness .. I have iPhoto 5 on my laptop here, and it still doesn't download movies from 2 of our 3 canon digital cameras at work, only imagecapture works for me.

I can't be sure of this, but I thought I read from Apple that iPhoto will import only from cameras with Quicktime formatted movies...someone correct me if I am wrong.

What format are your movies in, mguertin?

Trev

mguertin
Dec 20th, 2005, 04:20 PM
They are avi files, but quicktime (7) plays them ok without any addons.

TrevX
Dec 20th, 2005, 04:49 PM
They are avi files, but quicktime (7) plays them ok without any addons.
Yeah, and I checked Apple's website and it said it will import any video that is Quicktime compatible. Odd. There must be certain circumstances where it wont. *shrug*

Trev