: Window media Player "Rights Manager?" problem

krs
Dec 17th, 2005, 09:55 PM
I'm trying to play a WMV file and I keep getting the message below.
I'm running this on Tiger and I downloaded the latest OS X player from Microsoft.
The player version is 9.0.0
Now what?

In order to play this file, you need to upgrade your media player to a version compatible with Windows Media Rights Manager V7. Select View Compatible Players below to see a list of compatible media players.
If your current media player does not have a Windows Media Rights Manager V7 compatible version, you should select a different player with the Windows Media Rights Manager V7 identifier.

TrevX
Dec 18th, 2005, 06:09 AM
I'm trying to play a WMV file and I keep getting the message below.
I'm running this on Tiger and I downloaded the latest OS X player from Microsoft.
The player version is 9.0.0
Now what?

In order to play this file, you need to upgrade your media player to a version compatible with Windows Media Rights Manager V7. Select View Compatible Players below to see a list of compatible media players.
If your current media player does not have a Windows Media Rights Manager V7 compatible version, you should select a different player with the Windows Media Rights Manager V7 identifier.
You're trying to view DRM'd Windows Media content, which is not compatible with the Mac. Not even VLC or Mplayer can play those, so you're SOL unless you can fine a non-DRM'd (Digital Rights Management) file.

Trev

krs
Dec 18th, 2005, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=TrevX]You're trying to view DRM'd Windows Media content, which is not compatible with the Mac. Not even VLC or Mplayer can play those, so you're SOL unless you can fine a non-DRM'd (Digital Rights Management) file.

Trev -
I'm slowly coming to this realization as well doing a bit of searching on google.
Microsoft really pulled a fast one here.
First there doesn't seem to be any way one can tell if a file is a regular or DRM Windows media file, either on the net, before spending the effort and time downloading it, or even after it is downloaded and then, when you try to play it, MS points you to the latest OS X Windows Media player which according to them is supposed to play the file, but doesn't. It just points you back to the identical player you just downloaded.
Another endless loop, just like the .dll files on firefox.

I know MS software in general is pretty lousy - I have to live with this every day in the office...but that Microsoft can't even set up their website properly is unbelievable.

DBerG
Dec 18th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Also, playing WMV3 codecs on the Mac never has been done and never will. :( This is painful I had 10-15 files on WMV3 and now I have to say good bye to them.

We had alot of threads about that issue and I said that everyone should follow standards (I was bashing Microsoft a little bit), but someone said : You know, Apple doesn't follow standards very much.

Okay, it's true, but!! Can I play QuickTime files on a PC, yes! And on Linux it's easy to find a codec or an equivalent. I think VLC handles those files pretty well.
But WMV3 : forget it. Only a Winblows PC can read it, and that's not acceptable.

krs
Dec 18th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Also, playing WMV3 codecs on the Mac never has been done and never will. :( This is painful I had 10-15 files on WMV3 and now I have to say good bye to them.

We had alot of threads about that issue and I said that everyone should follow standards (I was bashing Microsoft a little bit), but someone said : You know, Apple doesn't follow standards very much.

I'm not into the technical nitty gritty of all the different codecs in use - no idea what a WMV3 codec specifically isa nd how it's different from other codecs.
Proprietary 'anything' bugs me too - but MS is known for that. Occasionally I even end up with a webpage that only MS IE can open, and not even the Mac version - one has to fire up Virtual PC and use the Windows version of IE.
BTW - One of the bits of 'goggled' info states that even using Virtual PC with the Windows Media Player won't work on these files- haven't tried that.

What relly gets me is Microsoft getting you to download their latest version of media player specifically to play these files and then it doesn't work.

I'm going to fire off an email to MS - wonder if they respond.

PS: Didn't someone make a x86 PCI card that one can plug into the Mac to run Windows?...Orange something?

TrevX
Dec 19th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Occasionally I even end up with a webpage that only MS IE can open, and not even the Mac version - one has to fire up Virtual PC and use the Windows version of IE.
BTW - One of the bits of 'goggled' info states that even using Virtual PC with the Windows Media Player won't work on these files- haven't tried that.

Yes, open VPC to view a website or a video that only a PC can view will work, albeit slowly in the case of the video. However, if you simply must view this video then that is an option.

PS: Didn't someone make a x86 PCI card that one can plug into the Mac to run Windows?...Orange something?
Yeah, Orange Micro. They used to make them back in the day, but they haven't done that for many years now. Besides, it would probably be cheaper to get an actual PC than a "PC-on-a-card" solution.

Trev

mguertin
Dec 19th, 2005, 03:24 PM
WMV sucks! LOL

Sorry, had to say that. Anything that is not windows is always years behind in their codecs. They do it deliberately I'm sure. WMP for OSX seems like a total afterthought, it's not even close to the same product as WMP for windows.

krs
Dec 19th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Yes, open VPC to view a website or a video that only a PC can view will work, albeit slowly in the case of the video. However, if you simply must view this video then that is an option.

Have you actually tried using VPC with the Windows DRM player?
I found this on macrumours:

It's actually not an issue with the version of WMP, it's really the fact that WMRM7 (Windows Media Rights Manager) is not implemented in WMP for MacOS X. So until our friends up at Redmond add that to the Mac, you're not going to be able to play netlibrary.com content on your Mac.

If you try to play it via WMP10 under VirtualPC, you get a very generic "An Error Occured" error message.

TrevX
Dec 19th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Have you actually tried using VPC with the Windows DRM player?
I found this on macrumours:

I can't see why VPC would not work. Windows Media Player doesn't know that its not running on a PC. It would be interesting to know what version of Windows that poster on Macrumors was running. I run Windows XP and it works fine for everything Windows-based that I throw at it.

Trev

krs
Dec 19th, 2005, 10:06 PM
I can't see why VPC would not work. Windows Media Player doesn't know that its not running on a PC. It would be interesting to know what version of Windows that poster on Macrumors was running. I run Windows XP and it works fine for everything Windows-based that I throw at it.

Trev

I decided to stick with Windows 98SE on VPC. I'll try that with WMP and see what happens.