: Analog to Digital VIDEO conversion

Jestered
Dec 17th, 2005, 12:29 PM
I know there was a recent thread on this but I have a question anyway.

I know about the converter box that can be bought to do this. I actually have one, but it is in the states and I don't have time to have it shipped up here and I won't be visiting anytime real soon to get it. The other consensus on the previous thread was to connect the VCR to a digital camcorder and then the camcorder to the computer... and then import the video that way. The question I have is, is this possible on any digitial camcorder? I have a camcorder, but there is no input on it. There is the obvious output to the tv and the firewire to the computer, but there is not a place for me to bring in video from the tv to the camcorder. Am I missing something here or is my camcorder just a little too old?

Thanks!

Ottawaman
Dec 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Not all dv camcorders have this function.
Which model do you own?

Jestered
Dec 17th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Not all dv camcorders have this function.
Which model do you own?

That is what I figured and why I bought the converter box in the first place. I was just wondering because there was not mention of it in the other thread. It basically said to just borrow a dv camcorder.

Anyway, the model I have is the Panasonic PVGS19 DVC Palmcorder.

Thanks for the reply.

Roland
Dec 17th, 2005, 12:49 PM
That is true... not all dv camcorders have transcoding functionalities built-in. You'd have to check the documentation or the internet to see if your specific model supports "Analog in".

Let me know if you are able to locate a way to get your footage transferred. I live about an hour outside of Burlington and I would be more than happy assisting you with getting your footage transferred.

Jestered
Dec 17th, 2005, 01:17 PM
That is true... not all dv camcorders have transcoding functionalities built-in. You'd have to check the documentation or the internet to see if your specific model supports "Analog in".

Let me know if you are able to locate a way to get your footage transferred. I live about an hour outside of Burlington and I would be more than happy assisting you with getting your footage transferred.

Wow. I really appreciate the offer!

The problem is that I just don't have the hardware to do it here. I have all this stuff in the States... I don't want to go out and buy another converter box because they are pretty expensive. I don't know anyone that has one to borrow either. I checked my neighbors cam and his has the same problem mine has. He does have a VCR/DVD combo player that will burn the VCR tape to DVD. I guess I will have to do it that way and then convert the DVD over to something QT can read. I am just not used to doing it this unefficient. LOL

Any tips on how to get a DVD imported to the Mac and ready for iMovie?

Bjornbro
Dec 17th, 2005, 02:19 PM
I have a camcorder, but there is no input on it. There is the obvious output to the tv and the firewire to the computer, but there is not a place for me to bring in video from the tv to the camcorder. Am I missing something here or is my camcorder just a little too old?
To quote Ed McMahon, "you are correct, sir"! After reviewing the manual (http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/PVGS19.pdf) for your camcorder, this model will not act as an analogue to DV bridge. No doubt you have a nice camcorder there, but try to find a used Canon ZR40 (my old camcorder model) or similar, to act solely as a bridge. Not only does this model have the RCA jacks, but it even has S-Video in as well. Now how's that for quality transfer!

Jestered
Dec 17th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I like Canon so I will surely check that out. Thanks for the info.

Jestered
Dec 17th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Oh yeah, I will get a Canon cam that will do this, but won't be able to do it until after xmas. I need to get this done before xmas. The VCR tape is a xmas video of my wife and her sisters when they were real little. My wife wants me to iMovie and iDVD it up and put on DVD to give to her sisters for xmas.

Now I know I can get the VCR tape over to DVD using my neighbors player/recorder and I know how to rip the dvd to my computer, but I don't know what to use to get the VIDEO_TS folder/files converted to something that QT will use so I can move it into iMovie.

Any ideas on what to use to do the conversion to something QT can use so I can bring it into iMovie?

Johnny
Dec 18th, 2005, 09:07 PM
I was quoted $40 to convert analog video to DVD in a electronics repair shop. Since you only have one tape and in a rush, maybe it would be worth. Some shops may charge less.

Good luck ..... Johnny

ArtistSeries
Dec 18th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Any ideas on what to use to do the conversion to something QT can use so I can bring it into iMovie?
MPEG Streamclip1.5 works well to transcode any non-encrypted VOB files.

Jestered
Dec 18th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Perfect. I will check that out.

Thanks